Here's one for ya......

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

harley0402

This might seem silly, but can snakes play with their food ??? My mum has a classic bredli about 6 years old, she has never had any problems or trouble with him and he always takes a feed. Now the other day she fed him and he took it like normal but instead of eating it straight away like normal, she said he seemed to have been 'playing' with it. She said he was coiling it and then releasing it and coiling it again and releasing it again. Then she said he was rearing up and smacking the rat on the floor of his enclosure. But when my mum tried to take the rat off him, cause this went on for about an hour, he coiled it and wouldnt let her take it. About an hour went by and then he ate it, head first, like normal in about 10 minutes it was gone. Can anyone shed some light of her event ? I thought that he might not have been that hungry but yeah im not too sure. Any info would be great guys. :)

LOL, sounds like it has been watching a cat playing with it's food.

I have a woma that often drags his food from one end of the enclosure to the other before eating it, sometimes an hour plus from being fed to actually eating.

My jungle always takes his feed to a certain roack in his enclosure. doesnt matter where i feed him he always seems to drag it to that rock.

lol its so weird, my mum said the exact same thing Banjo lol, we were just curious as to what he might be doing, but yeah maybe he was just 'playing'. :)

I guess he could just be constricting the mouse/rate and playing with it to make sure it's dead?
My Stimson python does this.. Constricts and releases his mice, then constricts again.. Repeating a few times.

My Jungle on the other hand doesn't waste a second devouring rats.

My coastal sometimes sniffs her food for 30 minutes before eating it. One day when she had a large rat she had it in her mouth and was moving her head backwards, and then she put the rat down on the newspaper ans was trying to push it into her mouth that way. Sometimes she chews on the rat's tail for a few minutes before realising this doesn't get the food into her mouth.

When I had a spotted python one of the rats I had for her was too big so it was cut in half length-ways. She was rearing up and hanging the rat down and then dragging it all over the place. She ended up dragging intestines all over her tank, glad I have a strong stomach ;) I don't remember her behaving like that with any other rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back