What makes reptiles addictive

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abnrmal91

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
What I want to know is what makes reptiles so addictive. I started out with just 1 snake and this quickly became 4. I want more but, I am not allowed any more till I have my own house.

What do you find is the best bit about keeping reptiles?

I just love how snakes they are so adapted to move around and hunting without arms or legs. Try laying on the floor and moving around the without using your arms and legs. It's not easy lol. They move so smoothly and quickly when they want to.

How there are so many different types and morphs. You just have to keep getting more :)

Ben

They dont bark, they dont reguire walks, they can be alive after u have left them for 2 weeks holidays, dont have to buy frisbies for catch, dont have to explain to ure neighbours why u pet is mating with there dog. You have a excuse to "teach' stray cats that come into ure yard a lesson. Who's next on why?

(-) 1 feed = 1 poo and that is it per week
(-) No Smell
(-) Cheap to feed (unless u got lots)
(-) easy to maintain
(-) interesting / different

i never want another dog, cat, fish or bird again reptiles are the pets for me.

oh and the way that even after having them for years and having a sort of trust you never forget that they are still a bit wild and will never be as domesticated as other types of pet

They are different shapes, colours, sizes. They live in different environments.
AND THEYRE AWESOME :)

All of the above! And the fact they don't give me hay fever! Or leave hair everywhere!

I have one snake so far, a gorgeous female stimmie, but I want more! There are so many good-looking snakes. Maybe it's because they're so easy to look after that it doesn't really hurt to add another one, and another one, and yet another one ... until all of a sudden you find you have enough to open a small reptile park.

Other reasons: No hay fever is a big plus - I love cats but they give me an itchy rash! Snakes are just fascinating. I will never get bored of watching my girl move or eat her dinner. Surprisingly little is known about them so I'm keeping an animal that challenges my scientific curiosity. You can keep one (or more) in an apartment and the neighbours will have no idea. And I'd take a bite from an angry stimmie over an angry dog any day. (That goes for most other species of Australian python, though I'd start to think twice with, say, a scrubbie or olive.)

People like to have hobbies, I doubt reptiles are more addictive than any other hobby.

I've had a fascination with reptiles since before I can remember and every experience with reptiles is new and exciting. From seeing a red belly crossing my yard as a child to volunteering at the reptile park doing shows to finally getting my first one, it's all just awesome. And I've never met someone I couldn't convert =) but yeah there's something very exotic and maybe a little alien about them, they're fascinating and beautiful and I can't imagine another obsession that could compare. Reptiles are gonna be lifelong for me!

they are interesting. and its nice to be able to share your knowledge about native wildlife with people that really are interested but havent a clue

For the way a snake hater can simply touch one and never want to use a shovel again

I've always had a fascination with snakes, sharks and crocs. I love my dogs because they are smart, loyal and love me back. I love the snakes because they are fascinating and have something that I can't explain, some sort of attraction.

they are a great way to break up study boredom- I spin the chair around and watch them exploring their enclsoures or doing nothing.

I think the "hate snakes" mentality is more prevalent in Victoria as most of the local species are venomous.Most other states seem to be more accepting to having them around.Owning a snake is probably the easiest and cheapest as an ongoing pet to look after if setup correctly, and when people get the bug the want more and more.Especially with all the new morphs turning up now, more than ever there will be a never ending wish list.
Paul

I don't really know.....maybe it's because it's the closest thing to an anciet species that hasn't really evolved too much over the centuries of time,and freaks like us get to tame,adopt whatever you want to call it, these primevil hunting machines,to the point where they look forward to seeing us.

Or maybe we all lack some gene that makes the normal the way they are.........AFRAID

maybe its the closest thing to real nature we can get in our crazy work driven lives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back