For or Against Heat Mats??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bel03

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone! Another cold start here in Brisbane.....if only i could curl up in Matilda's enclosure......31 degrees sounds really nice right about now! ;) So anyway, after seeing some pics of heat mats that have 'burnt holes in themselves', i am curious to know what everyones opinions are on using them? Are they safe or is there a high fire danger? Although i do want to keep my girl warm, i dont want my house to burn down either! Ive read they must be kept well ventilated.....but how exactly is this possible if it is under your enclosure?

I would never use a heat mat without a thermostat and even then I'd prefer to use something else. Just last weekend my boyfriend had a heat mat malfunction and burn his little spotted python - it was lucky we got him out that day, otherwise we mightn't have noticed until the snake was cooked. The heat mat didn't catch fire, it just started overheating and getting really hot.

As for ventilation - most of my enclosure have little legs that raise them up just a cm or so off the ground for ventilation purposes.

Have you ever seen a car crash? Are cars safe? Heatmats are about the same.

I've used microclimate heat mats for years underneath plastic tubs for hatchies and juveniles hooked up to microclimate B2ME thermostats and have never had any problem or had one fail.

I've seen the threads of those burnt out mats and Ive noticed they mainly seem to be a specific type (the ones that have that green covering - whatever they are) so my advice would be to invest in microclimate product mats if your looking to buy mats. Your better off in the long run buying quality accessories and equipment in my opinion. I never buy those "pet shop brand" items or cheap e-bay rubbish..

If your enclosure has a glass bottom I personally wouldnt use a heat mat underneath beacause I'd be worried about the glass cracking. If you can post a few pics of your set up maybe someone will have a good suggestion.

Well thank you to those that offered some HELPFUL advice! ;) I do have mine connected to a thermostat, & morgwynn, yes my enclosure is about a cm off the ground also, i just wondered if that was enough really. Colin, no my enclosure has a wooden bottom, only has glass doors. :) I guess i was just curious on what people thought of them in general.....so thanks again!

As for your 'statement' wokka......someone EXTREMELY close to me was just recently killed in a car accident, so perhaps if you dont have anything useful to add to a person's post......u shouldnt add anything at all.

Last edited:
I have used many heatmats over the past 4 years. I've had a couple clap out but only ever had one extreme case of burning my enclosure. There are many who have opinions of different brands. I can't comment as I have not had faults pointing to one particular brand but the damage a 10W mat has done to one of my enclosures has made me very warey of putting anything under substrate again. I am now converting to heatcord heatpanels and mounting them on the walls of my tanks. I do have one heatcord down under some newspaper with a piece of slate on top of the heatcord, but I have raised one edge of the heatcord with a flatish rock under it. The slate is keeping it sturdy and I am keeping an eye on it every day.

Bel711 that is very sad to hear. Being recent, too, you are in your rights to feel offended but I think the point Wokka was trying to make is that you don't stop driving, or driving a particular car because you see a serious accident, so why blame all heatmats for the damage that one has done. Yes there most likely are brands that are less hardy than others but quite often, too, it can be how they are used that causes the damage.

Thanks mysnakesau, it is still very hard to except, & car 'jokes' just dont fit well with me. But anyway, my point was more really just that sometimes people make comments that can affect people more then maybe they intend it too, & sometimes its just best to avoid sarcasim & say nothing. (not just 2 me personally either, i have seen smart **** comments on other posts, & wonder why people have to say anything at all if they have nothing nice to say!) Besides that, as i said before, i was really just after an idea of what people thought of them in general, as i have seen people who swear by them & others who would never use one. As i have only just got my first snake, & therfore just started using a heat mat, i was just curious if 'faulty' ones were common, or as many of you have said, are there just some 'faulty' brands. Thanks for the advice though, & i will just keep an eye on it! Better to be safe then sorry! :)

Ive also used heat matts under plastic tubs just make sure they come with the safety warning tab on one of the corners there was a pic of one the other day it states wattage size vottage then a big CE then some safety messages I dont use thermastats I reguly check all temps and yes Bel unfornatly there a few people that always want to be smart a**** just ignore them

Bel, i have a heatmat with a built in thermostat that i have found effective for my click clack, granted ive only been using it for a month.

I've used microclimate heat mats for years underneath plastic tubs for hatchies and juveniles hooked up to microclimate B2ME thermostats and have never had any problem or had one fail.

I've seen the threads of those burnt out mats and Ive noticed they mainly seem to be a specific type (the ones that have that green covering - whatever they are) so my advice would be to invest in microclimate product mats if your looking to buy mats. Your better off in the long run buying quality accessories and equipment in my opinion. I never buy those "pet shop brand" items or cheap e-bay rubbish..

If your enclosure has a glass bottom I personally wouldnt use a heat mat underneath beacause I'd be worried about the glass cracking. If you can post a few pics of your set up maybe someone will have a good suggestion.

Colin, what would you suggest using in a glass enclosure? i am about to set one up and cant figure out what to use, was thinking the heat cord radiator, but am not sure whether that would suit.

I wouldn't use a heat mat ever again... The heat cord I use now is great and it's cheaper to buy (than 3 heat mats) and lower in running costs. I only need one for my 3 hatchy/juvies so only 1 thermostat required. (All three have independent 2 probed thermometers as a backup). I have found now that heat cords are a lot more versatile too.

But each to their own...

i was just curious if 'faulty' ones were common, or as many of you have said, are there just some 'faulty' brands.

I should point out that it's more common for the cause of heat mat malfunctions is user error, as it was with the one that malfunctioned in my care. I didn't know how to set up a heat mat properly, what precautions to take, and it was only after something went wrong that I learnt these things from people on here. 1cm ventilation may not be enough and the surface that it is in contact with should be considered as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the different points of views. Its quite interesting at how different everyone see's things! I will look at raising my enclosure another cm or so, & just keep doing checks. The mat itself is sitting on a tile floor......so far there hasnt been a problem! :)

Bel, i have a heatmat with a built in thermostat that i have found effective for my click clack, granted ive only been using it for a month.

Colin, what would you suggest using in a glass enclosure? i am about to set one up and cant figure out what to use, was thinking the heat cord radiator, but am not sure whether that would suit.

Exo terra make glass only terrarium heat pads. Has adhesive to stick to the bottom (outside) of the glass, and comes with 4 adhesive legs to lift the tank off the ground. Cost me around $50 I think. Well, thats what the Mrs charged me anyways, lol

Exo terra make glass only terrarium heat pads. Has adhesive to stick to the bottom (outside) of the glass, and comes with 4 adhesive legs to lift the tank off the ground. Cost me around $50 I think. Well, thats what the Mrs charged me anyways, lol

I have a tank that i bought 2nd hand many years ago (over 7 years ago and i don't know how old it was when i bought it) and it has one of these mats on the bottom of it. I have kept all sorts of critters in the tank including scorpions and giant hermit crabs and i have never had one issue with it at all! Never used a thermostat with it either, not sure if it's the same brand or not but i was wondering where i would find another one like it so thanks for telling me the brand etc :)

I would like to know what to use for a melamine enclosure that will have bearded dragons in it? I was thinking i could use a flood light or MVB and have a slate tile under the globes, would this be sufficient to hold heat or what else could i use?

Damn it. I've got one of those green ones. Might have to pop by the pet store on the way home and see if I can find Microclimate ones..
I just had a look at a photo of them, I remember seeing them in one shop, just can't remember which.

The green ones are the ones that claim to be water resistant, aren't they?.. They buzz sometimes, and whenever on a dimmer..

I use heat cords and one heat mat. The heat mat I've been running inside a glass enclosure underneath a sheet of tile for a very long time now. It's connected to a thermostat. Heat cords heat the rest of my collection, and I don't use thermostats for those. I would certainly recommend heat cords over heat mats. So much easier to use, very customisable (you can control the heat based on how many strands of the cord are underneath the enclosure) and much cheaper to run than individual mats and lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back