Interesting Words

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My new word for today is allelopathic, which is a defence mechanism some plants have to chemically inhibit pasture growth
and seed germination by their competitors.

Picked up any good words lately?.

Coitophobia- Fear of coitus.Herpetophobia- Fear of reptiles or creepy, crawly things.Ophidiophobia- Fear of snakes. (Snakephobia).Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words.Sesquipedalophobia- Fear of long words.Hobophobia- Fear of bums or beggars.Logizomechanophobia- Fear of computers.Proctophobia- Fear of rectums.

Ha ha ha you're clearly a phobia enthusiast. First one I've met I think.
What is a phobia of phobias?

Coitophobia- Fear of coitus.Herpetophobia- Fear of reptiles or creepy, crawly things.Ophidiophobia- Fear of snakes. (Snakephobia).Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words.Sesquipedalophobia- Fear of long words.Hobophobia- Fear of bums or beggars.Logizomechanophobia- Fear of computers.Proctophobia- Fear of rectums.
ROFLMFAO... I could do with at least one of those ;)
C

I like crepescular

"of the twilight"

I love the light at dawn and dusk, it has magical properties

And there's a mineral called "cummingtonite"

Hmm crepuscular is a great word.

Anyone else like touche, I think it is such a great underused word. Also defenestrate (to throw out or through a window).

My favourite word of all time (Christina Applegate taught it to me) is ineffable...

It means - to intense for words...

My new word for today is allelopathic, which is a defence mechanism some plants have to chemically inhibit pasture growth
and seed germination by their competitors.

Picked up any good words lately?.

However - when I studied Bio 101 - I recall allelochemicals to be any group of chemicals produced by plants as a defense mechanism against predators and competitors. Not limited to preventing other plants germinating - they can also be attractants as well :)

Last edited:

Nice list! I'd like to add Luposlipaphobia: the fear of being pursued by timber wolves around a kitchen table, while wearing socks on a newly waxed floor.

Some other awesome words:
Flibbertigibbet: a flighty or whimsical person
Noctivigant: partial to going out in the night; night wandering
Kiddlywinks. Just because it's fun to say =) rolls from the back of your tongue to the front, awesome.

Sitzmark is one of my favourites. It's an indentation in the snow caused by a skiier falling backwards.

StellaDoore- re you're signature

My bhp has a Y and 3 Xs.
The possibilities are endless!

more words

somnambulism- sleep walking
ossuary- a home for the bones of the dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back