This ever happen to you?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris

Went to my brothers house this afternoon to help him move some roofing sheets. In his front yard I noticed a large dead tree with some awesome shaped limbs.... perfect for an enclosure :D Told him to get his chainsaw.... anyone else ever done strange stuff like that, you see something that a 'normal' person wouldn't see... all in the name of enclosure & pet snake perfection?

I did something like that
I was looking for the *perfect* branches for my dragon enclosure and gt a friend to take me out to his farm and walked alot of his 135 acres untill i found some that just jumped out at me..i think he thought i was nuts but he didnt say anything and he offrerd to chainsaw anything i wanted if it was connected to a tree still or far to big for me to carry out :)

When I was based in Perth, I always saw some nice looking dead trees on Garden Island. One day I actually went to work on the weekend just looking for wood for my tank lol. I ended up with a cracker piece I kicked off a tree on the ground :)

i helped my brother out in a furniture shop and when insain because everything looked like reptile enclosures lol

Had the tree loppers at my place over the last 2 days. Found a few good branches in there
pile. Got some strange looks as I was pulling them out to.

Going down to the back of an industrial estate, looking for that last branch to complete the enclosuer, walking along the road beside the forestry and (tada - perfect branch) 8foot in the air and over the fence, all I got is a small hand saw, what do I do, In all my grace (not) scale the fence wobble on the fence 1 hand out lean accross to said tree with perfect branch to try and steddy myself to saw the brach off, fall grabbing perfect branch, landing very uncat like with a thud (sucess have the perfect banch) now just to get back over fence....... and drag branch back to car :) score.

I carry a bush saw in my boot , just in case while out driving I spot the right branch ....

Made the son scramble through the bush with me carrying the bush saw and help drag back a couple of likely branches from nearby bushland after I spotted them on a walk. Then when the tree next door dropped a big branch I pounced right away. They thought I was being helpful with the cleanup :)

I'd been eyeing of the perfect hollow branch in the tree across the road for some time, only problem was that it 20 foot up a stringy bark. As luck would have it in the last wind storm we had the tree blew over and the piece i was after snapped of perfectly, i walked across and picked it up, on the shelf in the shed now.

After the floods there were a fair few broken branches around my area, and I definitely recieved some wierd looks whenever I took a few home :lol: they've been sitting in the sun for a while now, so everything should be killed off before I chuck them in the new enclosures.
Dan40D - haha there is a reptile God!! How flukie is that! lol. Great score.
Dickyknee - haha love your preparation :p

Always!

I've always got my eye out for special bits of timber or an amazing bit of rock. It's become second nature now. Tomorrow for example I've got an 800km drive to the place I'm working this week. Half of that is dirt track and as soon as I see something my foot will be sitting on the brake pedal before I'm even sure what I've seen!

A large component of my employment is tree inspection and removal on government property. I have the best job in the world when it comes to owning reptiles! The arborist I work with also keeps reptiles, and both our collections enjoy the fruits of our labours.

All the time but I don't think herp people are grouped as normal people, but it's normal for use.

Many moons ago I found this piece of ironwood root that had, with infinitesimal slowness, penetrated a huge granite boulder.

Shortly before I found it there had been a very hot fire that had turned the tree into a strange 2 dimensional ash shadow on the ground. All that survived was this root and the heat of the fire had broken open the granite boulder.

I put it into my Darwin carpet's enclosure a few days ago but I've never seen her on or in it. Tonight I just caught her leaving so I'm glad she is playing with/on it. I cant wait to get her pic playing in this one!

DSC_0058.jpgDSC_0059.jpg

Last edited:
That would sell for considerable money in Melbourne Steve. I've bought mangrove root not half as good as that for reasonable coin.

There are a few centuries in that root. I wouldn't dream of parting with it! It was a gift from the gods/ dieties/ dreaming.

Money is just an unfotunate necessity but things of the soul are NFS. This is one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back