How long is a piece of string?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kawasakirider

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Decided to take some pics of the two larger snakes next to a ruler. Anyone have any clues how long they are? I'd say just over 2 feet.

Here's snappy
IMG_2530.jpg

and here's Georgie
IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

I took some other pics, too

IMG_2536.jpg

IMG_2539.png

IMG_2540.png

IMG_2543.png

IMG_2545.png

snappehand.jpg

snappyhead.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

There is a program you can use to measure them with. Take a photo like you have next to a known size and you can work it out.

C'mon Kawasaki......You just wanted to pose off your beautiful pythons, didn't you.:)

Yeah mate Herp Measure, i used it the other day works well.

twice as long as half a piece of string.

first pic I'm getting 70.86cm based on the ruler but its hard to see the measurements on the ruler but I'm going with around 70cm

it will be more accurate if you could get a pic of the animal with a ruler or something with known distance clearly indicated as a better reference.

and FYI i used this tool Apps

C'mon Kawasaki......You just wanted to pose off your beautiful pythons, didn't you.:)

Haha, nah mate. Those pics are dodgy, I only posted them because I took them. I need a nice camera!!!

Thanks everyone, I'll have a look at herp measure. How accurate is it?

hard to say really for accuracy, as long as the measured distance taken is accurate and you keep the line along the body of the snake straight and follow the curves well id say its accurate to a 100mm or so

100mm is 10cm, a large margin of error when we are talking about hatchlings :p haha. I used herp measure for one of those pics and it said 78cm (this is for snappy, the smaller snake). But I just took pics straight above like the instructions say. I'll have another go :)

yeah i think the easiest is to get some string run it from head to tail then measure the string in a straight line

Beautiful snakes. What are they? Jungles or Coastals? Excuse my ignorance :p

Thank you, they're jungles. Just not as nice as a lot of the ones around here :)

I got close to 77cm for snappy and close to 84cm for Georgie. I am not sure if there is that much in it. I'll try again over the next few days.

If you are using the string method, et yourself some Blutack. Tiny dollops along the string to hold it in place make it a lot easir to get an accurate measure. And yeah, directly above if you are using Herp Measure. standing on a chair or the likes should do it. You also use a black marker on metal your ruler to show a given length - the full 30cm would be best because that will increase the accuracy of the estimate.

Blue

I let mine slide along a straight brick wall stretched out,also using a dressmaker measuring tape.They like the heat off the bricks so they are in no hurry to move.

Nice snakes mate.

I measure winding routes on a topo map with a piece of string (not sure how long!) then measure against a ruler. Might work with a snake too.

Do you just measure the string and then multiply by the map scale? Topographic maps stay still :p haha.

Thanks mate. This program seems pretty accurate :D Have a go with it!

"Do you just measure the string and then multiply by the map scale? Topographic maps stay still :p haha."

Yea exactly. I've had a few topos go wild on me though.

If you put the end of the piece of string on the end of the tail and work forward you can let the string behind fall, and measure it when you've reached the nose. You dont have to have all the string connected to the snake's length. Does that make sense?

Yeah it makes sense mate, I'll give it a go and see how much of a difference I get between the string and the herp measure tool. Here is one of my snakes all measured up :)

georgielength.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back