First snake :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty_k

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im just looking for a couple of answers that im sure you can help me with.
First off i was thinking about getting a yellow and black jungle python as i really do like them.
Is this an ok choice for a first snake? and can i even keep one on a class 1 NSW licence?

If i can keep one then what setup ( tank size, heating specs etc ) would you recommend?

If it isn't a good choice or im not allowed to keep one then what species would you suggest would be a good choice.

thanks in advance.

Matt

it all depends on how old your snake will be when you buy it. Hatchlings you can put them in a click clack, see DIY zone. As they get bigger the obvisously need a bigger enclosure. For my bredli im getting an 1800x1200 enclosure built for so its big enough when his fully grown. You can have jungles in NSW. Most snakes will be a little flighty when young, though I have read that some jungles can be a little more aggresive. Its all about personal preference! Have a good look around the forums and get ideas and others experiance on different varietys of carpets. Good luck

You can definantly have them on a class one NSW license, class two is mainly for venimous and most monitors.

thanks all for the quick replies, well seeing as I can have the jungle I want im going to get everything setup for it. I think I might just get a nice tall glass and wooden enclosure made because I want to have it in my room as a great looking display.
I was thinking I am going to get a hatchling, something nice and young so I can watch it grow.

Funnily enough I used to be petrified of snakes until a friend of mine got one ( not sure what it was tho ) and i really liked it. ( took me a while to pluck up the courage to even touch it tho let alone hold it but once I did i was hooked and had to have one )

You could always give it a crack at making a enclosure, this site has a DIY section :)

As hatchlings, most (but not all) people in the hobby suggest keeping them in a plastic click clack set up to about 18months. Snakes feel nervous and exposed in large enclosures which means you could have trouble feeding etc. yOu can then build your proper enclosure in this time. Of course nothing is stopping you from making a proper one now, just make sure you provide heaps of hides for the little guy/girl.

i just picked up a 6 month old jungle from airport today and its as calm as!!!...tho most jungle i have seen r far from being friendly..so dont be to put off snakes if it bite constantly as thats just a young jungles nature...if u want a begginer first snake then a stimi is the way to go...then i moved on to a bredli and so on...ive got lucky with my jungle so good luck

I couldnt recommend jungles as a first snake enough. Mine are calm, and eat and shed perfectly every time.
If you do buy a hatchie, make sure not to put it straight into the adult enclosure (unless you have plenty of hides) because they will be stressed in the large space.

I love mine !!!!!!!!!

I bought SXR line from a lovely guy called James Ardrie "snake it up" and I bought from Roger lester Rogers Reptiles. both lines are just lovely. The junles I got from Roger are tiger striped.....I am so happy all 4 are sooks and only one of them was a bit snappy as a baby but is fine now.

choose the snake you want.....because any breed can be snappy.....

Also search for enclosures......enclosres with lots of glass can be hard to heat....and it becomes a pain trying to keep the temps up and Jungles do like to be warm.......temperature is everything...if they get cold they can get a respiratory infection.....or just be stressed and shed badly

Ok great, yea I've read that they can be snappy when their young. Hopefully it will calm down eventually if it is snappy tho.

Hmmm well maybe I will keep it in a small " click clack " until it's a little older. That gives me more time to get the display case ready.

What sort of price do hatchy's go for? and is there a certain time that alot become available?

Jungle hatchies can start around $150, and range a bit from there depending on locale and colours etc etc. im not sure about how often they are available, though this is the middle? (not to sure) of the breeding season so I would say in a few months alot of hatchies will be popping up for sale.

You always hear people passing off jungles as having a "typical jungle attitude" when they're snappy. But if you're willing to look, you will find a calm hatchy. Otherwise, my philosophy is that if you treat it right, it'll treat you right once it knows it can trust you.

Mine hatched in Feb and early next year you will c loads of hatchies for sale...mine has settled in well in a 20L click clack and took 2x velvet rats second day i had him...not struck yet either but early days on that 1!!! lol

I love my almost 8 month old Jungle. He bit me the very first night but never since. He's also SXR lines (from snakeitup as well) and the line is lovely. He's got a great little personality and it a hundred times clamer than I ever expected.

I say go for it :) get a good hatchy from a good line (it's worth waiting for the right one) and the only advice I can offer is move slowly, be calm and learn to read your snake. If it's upset, leave it be.

Attached is a pic of moose having a play in his enclosure. Its about 85x130x38cm (so not quite big enough for him as an adult, but will do him for a couple of years) and I don't think he'll be residing here full time yet, but he's been in there for almost 2 days and has already found a favourite possie on a branch (he's not a big hide fan, hardly used the one in his CC and I doubt he'll use one much in the larger enclosure.)

IMG_0847.jpg

Yea I'll wait till I find the right one. Not rushing out and getting the first one I see :)

That enclosure looks good and moose looks great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back