Worst job of all!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have my snake yet so I've not had the joy of cleaning an enclosure yet, but know from my kids and dog and cat that I'm not looking forward to it. I thought about trying to find a shallow container the exact size of the bottom of my enclosure that I could then fill with shredded paper or littler, and then cover that with leaf litter which I plan to use as substrate, I figured then I could just spot clean every day or two, change the leaf litter once a week and the entire container can come out to be emptied and washed every second or as needed. Fingers crossed it all works for me the way I hope it will, but threads like this are helpful to read.

Hope it works for you Milk-bar.

A friend told me the other day to apply the clear contact to the bottom edges of the enclosure. Stops poop, sand and mites getting in the cracks so it's easier to clean.

Hope it works for you Milk-bar.

A friend told me the other day to apply the clear contact to the bottom edges of the enclosure. Stops poop, sand and mites getting in the cracks so it's easier to clean.

A good coat of pond-tite, a clear hard drying cover, will safeguard anything, just pour the mix onto the floor of the enclosure, gently brush it out to the sides, and a small distance up the sides too, as far aas it will go, great stuff

I like the carbon idea actually. Activated carbon absorbs toxins out of aquarium water and I reckon that property would be transferable. It would absorbs smells and the harshness out of the snake waste. I'll have to try that.

I use newspaper with marine carpet on top, the liquid gets collected by the paper and tends to drain straight through the marine carpet. So the viv doesn't tend to get "painted".

I do like the sounds of aspen, I might try that soon.

I use a mixture of different floorings - carpet in some, newspaper in others and breeders choice in others, and paper towel in click clacks.

I spot clean my enclosures regularly so they don't need heavy cleaning very often. But when I do, I just use warm water and dishwashing detergent. Works great. I've seen ads where dishwashing detergents are used to wash oil of penguins and birds, so if it don't hurt them, it surely won't over-fume my enclosures. And if the cage still stinks, spray it with F10. I have been told its germs that cause smells, so kill the germs and the smells will die, too.

Oh, and BTW - what sort of job do you have that allows you to spend your hours on APS? Obviously you don't have an active or busy job.

A good coat of pond-tite, a clear hard drying cover, will safeguard anything, just pour the mix onto the floor of the enclosure, gently brush it out to the sides, and a small distance up the sides too, as far aas it will go, great stuff
Might try to get some into ours before we change over to aspen (or similar) bedding. Thanks!

Currently using thick pile artificial turf, which looks brilliant, but means a full wash every 2 weeks and spray down with rep disinfectant (even though spot cleaning is done as soon as the "evidence" appears) So the change over to aspen will mean less overall work and disruption to the enclosure/s. My hatchy came with aspen in his CC but I've been using paper towel with him which is easy for the CC, but not so easy for a full size enclosure LOL.

Our doors are full-length, so we got some L shaped tubing to screw down so the aspen can't fall out when we open the doors, so might screw that down, then pont-tite the bottom, then get the aspen in there, maybe even without the need for extra newspaper.

I love these forums, when you sift through all the rubbish, there are some awesome tips to discover!

I use a mixture of different floorings - carpet in some, newspaper in others and breeders choice in others, and paper towel in click clacks.

I spot clean my enclosures regularly so they don't need heavy cleaning very often. But when I do, I just use warm water and dishwashing detergent. Works great. I've seen ads where dishwashing detergents are used to wash oil of penguins and birds, so if it don't hurt them, it surely won't over-fume my enclosures. And if the cage still stinks, spray it with F10. I have been told its germs that cause smells, so kill the germs and the smells will die, too.

Oh, and BTW - what sort of job do you have that allows you to spend your hours on APS? Obviously you don't have an active or busy job.

Who do you mean with the work comment? I work a very busy job up 50 hours per week at times and have a family, maintain a large reptile collection and spend heaps of time on aps and have a life outside of these as well. It could be classed as good time management. instead of type of job. lol.

I'm the same Gibblore - I do my job extremely well, so when I have a bit of down-time (that I've somehow created by being super-efficient) AP.com here I come! LOL.

I'm the same Gibblore - I do my job extremely well, so when I have a bit of down-time (that I've somehow created by being super-efficient) AP.com here I come! LOL.

Yes where esle has it all for such a low low price, Reptiles, the bizzar and jokes and so much more

Who do you mean with the work comment? I work a very busy job up 50 hours per week at times and have a family, maintain a large reptile collection and spend heaps of time on aps and have a life outside of these as well. It could be classed as good time management. instead of type of job. lol.

Hey I was only kidding. Everyone seems to be on APS while they're working, except me, I don't get any downtime.

I work night shift in a nursing home, Was a very quiet night that night but I was on my break when I wrote the post.. and yes I'm great at time management lol

Another tip I got off my mum a few years back when my sliding back door was sticking... I use spare partylite candles to rub on the bottom of the glass doors to help them slide nicely in the rails! I only use partylie thou as it's not full of crap like some
Of the cheaper ones, just have to make sure you clean any large bits left over so they don't end up in the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back