Culling Camels

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting thread and some very interesting dicussion. I am very passionate about feral animals and their removal and working within Landcare have inner knowledge of certain things. One such interesting thing is with the newly passed Carbon Tax camels are in a bit of a difficult situation. See Camels produce methane and methane is a greenhouse gas, so by killing camels you will be saving methane being released into the atmosphere, hence slowing climate change/global warming. Currently there are methodologies being developed so that people can get paid to shoot camels to avoid their production of methane.
From studies it is shown that in the wild camels live to be approx 30 years old which puts the average age to be 15, if a camel is shot it is expected to be an average of 15 years old hence you are saving 15 years worth of methane. roughly this equates to approx $300+ for shooting a camel under the carbon tax. The idea is that it becomes a commercial enterprise for aerial shooters and camels are exterminated. Sounds good in theory!

Here here.

The Indigenous Rangers I work with generated a million dollars last year as carbon offset. This is achieved through applying early Dry season burning which, as shown by rigorous scientific scrutiny, reduces greatly (and measurably ) the amount of carbon released opposed to a late Dry season (massive fuel load) burn. When you consider 1/3 of the NT burns every year this is a significant outcome.

The revenue in turn pays for full time Rangers which is a rare and highly regarded employment outcome in remote Communities. It also allows the Rangers (and thus the Community) to do imporant resource management, conservation programs and cultural recording and protection work. The Rangers themselves are directed by a committee of Elders from their region and they have full Community support.

Many of our Ranger groups have become independant of Govt funding now and have contracts with Fisheries, Parks & Wildlife, Customs, Quarantine, mining and pastoral companies, research organisations and so on.

If shooting farting ferals can generate income that is another string in their bow, and gets what needs to be done, actually done. Helicopters, fuel and ammo are not cheap.

Last edited:
It's funny, no one seems to kick up a fuss when they kill several million locust...

The billions of flies that are sprayed needlessly to death....

Would love to see Australia (and other countries) get rid of all their ferals. I agree 100% with SteveNT because liking just wasn't enough!

The issue here is introduced species. Who introduced these species?????? HUMANITY!! Maybe we are the problem!

Here in QLD. a private company has been given the rights to use a mobile abbattoirs for feral horses, so they are shot but then processed in the mobile setup and nearly all the meat recycled for different purposes at least this way there is no waste.
........solar 17 (Baden)

Yep that's good where you have access to refrigeration.

It's just not realistic (except near all weather roads) with the vast distances here. The Wet season cuts ALL roads here to varying degrees and that makes the human consumption/ pet meat trade seasonal. It is difficult to find seasonal workers with the skills required for this line of work.

I'm not in favour of waste either but you have to be realistic about this. In 90% of culls here it is not viable to collect the carcasses.

I always find it interesting that we can commit these sort of atrocities against animals under the banner of preservation and need but to cleanse the land of an unwanted group of humans that are seen by many to be wrecking our country is a hate crime or racism?
What do they do with the dead camels?

They leave them there as food for the scavengers, plenty of well fed scavenger birds and monitors around there i reckon

Yeah i just ignored the weird racial stuff and answered the question. :lol:

They leave them there as food for the scavengers, plenty of well fed scavenger birds and monitors around there i reckon

Fear not, not a molecule of those culled animals goes to waste. The nearby animals, plants and even the soil get benefit from the body. Nutrient recycling.

Thats my theory too, even when my kids pet rabbit died of old age they asked where he would go now and i told them he would go into the soilto make the earth more beautiful, i think its a lovely way to think of death.

And it's true. There are , in all probability, molecules that once were part of a dinosaur in your body now.

Water, minerals, biology it's recycled. I find that good and proper.

I'd love to know what amazing creatures my molecules will be part of 20 million years from now!

Thats my theory too, even when my kids pet rabbit died of old age they asked where he would go now and i told them he would go into the soilto make the earth more beautiful, i think its a lovely way to think of death.

That's beautiful :)

Friends of mine who are christian think its sad that i dont believe in heaven and a life after death, etc but i think knowing that evrything around us is as beautiful as it is because of all of those animals and plants who lived before us is much nicer.

They set themselves apart from the world. They believe they are "chosen" and "special"and "right".

They are wrong. On all counts

But that's their business.

I just want to see this country restored to health.

To do that we need to cull camels, horses, donkeys, goats, rabbits, etc, etc

Let's deal with the ferals first. Then we can do the philosophical naval gazing exercise.

Ha, kind of amusing that that was your 666th post Steve! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back