Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The photo is very poor quality to expect someone to make a positive ID from. You really cannot make out any detail, nor even see the body pattern, if there is one.

In this particular instance, you are straight out lucky because the head shape, its width compared to the neck, and the body shape in cross-section, are all quite distinctive. The animal is a Brown Tree Snake (Boiga irregularis).

Blue

yep it is definitely 100% positive without a doubt a........snake.............
thats about all you can get from the pic sorry

Ill put out a tentative guesstimate, only because of the poor qulity pic and lack of info. I'm puttin money on Black Whip Snake.

My initial thought was that it may be a brown Tree Snake but as stated above, this photo is very unclear which makes it impossible to be sure.

Looks a tiny bit like a Brown Tree.

Keelback? Slatey grey? Orangutan? Could be anything with that picture clarity.

My immediate thought when I saw it was Eastern Brown Snake.
I think the angle of the photo make the head appear shorter than it is. I've tried looking at it as a Brown Tree but it doesn't feel right.
The light on the top of it's licks down between the eyes towards the nose giving me the impression that the head is actually a longer rectangular shape. I think it is an elapid of some species.

I think the one thing that we can all agree on is that this small image of poor resolution will never have a positive ID without further information.

JD

Based on the head shape and darkish (apparrently) colour... A Scrubbie

Another snake ID thread that typifies the confusion and misidentification so common in such threads.
We really need to establish a set of protocols for snake ID threads.
I'll make it a priority to set something up asap after consulting with experienced snake rescuers.

Another snake ID thread that typifies the confusion and misidentification so common in such threads.
We really need to establish a set of protocols for snake ID threads.
I'll make it a priority to set something up asap after consulting with experienced snake rescuers.

But unlike most threads where such is the case in this thread those who are well positioned to ID the snake and are having a detailed look at it and giving reasoning are still not coming to a consensus. This isn't the kind of thread that's a problem where the snake is just impossible to ID. The problematic threads are the ones where the snake is IDable but every person on the forum wants to have a go IDing it whether they can or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back