Neonate will not feed.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrcash71

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have my first childrens neonate hatch that will not feed. I have tried scented mouse tails of different sizes plus pinkie mice. The neonate is sitting in the correct temps and is in its own little enclosure with hides and water.

Age is around 5 weeks and had it first shed 3 days ago.

Is there anyone who can help.

How are you defrosting the mice?

Also what temps are you running? I know you said you're running the right temps, but I've herd so many people say that and when they finally say what temps there running, it turns out there completely wrong.

At this age, they are running purely on instincts, so you need the make the mouse as alive looking as possible. Make sure the mouse is warm (not room temp) when you try to feed it, wiggle the mouse as if it was alive, try leaving it with the snake (on the warm end) over night.

If that doesn't work, try piercing the brain of the mouse, they normally go crazy for the smell of brains.

Otherwise there's these simple methods.
1. Try dropping the mouse directly infront of the snake and walking away.
2. Try moving the mouse quickly along the floor of the enclosure as if it was alive and running.
3. Try hitting the mouse on the nose and back half of the snake (you're trying to agitate the snake so it bites)

Also, make sure you're using tongs to hold the mouse, otherwise the snake will be censing the heat from your hand and not eat out of fear, because your hand looks like a big predator trying to eat it.

Last edited:
Thank for the reply,

I defrost the pinkie in hot water but not boiling as i can still put my hand in to pull it out. I have been trying to feed with my hand not tongs so that may help.

I will try all of the ways you suggest and see which one works

thanks

Thank for the reply,

I defrost the pinkie in hot water but not boiling as i can still put my hand in to pull it out. I have been trying to feed with my hand not tongs so that may help.

I will try all of the ways you suggest and see which one works

thanks

The hot water method is what I use for mine as well.
Tongs will make a big difference with a hatchling, you just have to remember, at there age, there affrade of anything bigger then them, as there instincts tell them big things want to eat them.

What are the temps your running?

Hatchling Antaresia can be absolute pains to get feeding and if you don't know what you are doing they can be twice as hard.

My advice to anyone (especially newbies) buying hatchy Ants is to make sure it has had a minimum of 6-8 feeds, don't buy it if it hasn't .

Are you handling it ?
How big is the tub ?
is it 28 or 31 ? ( should be closer to 31-33 imo for hatcho ants )

First thing I would suggest is a long pair of feeding tongs , most pets shops will sell them for about $20.00
Nice warm pinky , nice quiet / dark room , don't move around when feeding , once it strikes and takes the pinky just leave it and stand still till it starts eating, if it drops the pinky do it again , and again...
You really need a lot of time and patience to get them going , so it may take a while yet .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back