cost of elevtricity rising what are you planning of doing.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonboy69

Reaction score
With the cost of electricity gone up and still to go up what are you planning to do. My wife wants me to down size my snakes or completely get rid of them. How do you manage to keep your power bills down any usefully help would be gratefully helpfull.

thats mostly the reason we went solar aswell its not a big unit but it will definetly help

Would like to go solar, so how do you find the Grid Solar? I personally use a number of heat chords (a real fan) and I actually bought a second hand wood heater a few years back, works a treat as it warms the entire house not just the reptile room.

I only have 4 snakes and 2 dragons, but my quarterly electricity bill is less than $300. not an issue at the moment.thats with 3 kids and 3 more on weekends.

I only have 4 snakes and 2 dragons, but my quarterly electricity bill is less than $300. not an issue at the moment.thats with 3 kids and 3 more on weekends.

I wish my bill was only $300 a quarter! Our bills are over $650 a quarter!!

Edit: I'm going to seriously have to start thinking about solar soon. Anyone got any idea of the current time for ROI? Last time I looked it seemed hardly worth the effort and upfront cost.

ouch my quarterly bill is around 90 lol but in all fairness I have gas hot water

Wowsas! how do you manage that?! We have 2 kids; one of which is here 50/50, and us two, and ours is around the $650 mark! And we have solar panels, solar hot water and our cooking is on gas!!!

We just pay it and forget about it until the next bill comes in.... hubby has a rant... I play the good wife.... we pay and move on.... until the next one.... and so on!

Wowsas! how do you manage that?! We have 2 kids; one of which is here 50/50, and us two, and ours is around the $650 mark! And we have solar panels, solar hot water and our cooking is on gas!!!

We just pay it and forget about it until the next bill comes in.... hubby has a rant... I play the good wife.... we pay and move on.... until the next one.... and so on!

I just checked and I tell a fib, the last one was $309 and the gas was $170, still good though. I refuse to use A/C, one fridge/freezer and try not to use the dryer. If i didn't rent I would get solar.

BTW i pay 20.6c per kw/h, I'd like to know what others are paying.

Good work!
I expect ours to be fairly high; not only do we have the reptiles, but we also have ducted air which is on more often than it's not, a spa pool which costs a fortune to run and I have a terrible habit of leaving all the lights on. I hate sitting in darkness.

Small basking spots using efficient heating like heat cords rather than incandescents. Timers so heating is only on during the day. Cool them in winter so the heaters aren't working too hard (or at all) during the cooler months - this has the other advantage of saving you on food costs. These should be quite doable since you said your animals are inside because it won't get down to crazy cold temps if you don't give them night time heat.
I don't pay the electricity bill but these are the kinds of thing I'm doing to help reduce my influence on the bill.

My quarterly bill is $900 - about $350 is due to my snakes....:shock:
2 albinos a year takes care of the problem..........:D
Solar will be the next step when i do the reno's.
Seriously now, what other hobby can you at least cover your expenses and enjoy it !!!
Love to be into cars....:lol:, open invitation to pour money down a drain etc.

My Electricity cost per quarter is on average $275-00, my average usage per day is 15.95KWH and cost per day is $ 3-40, l only have 8 Reptile's to look after, l don't have any solar power cause l rent my townhouse, where if l owned it l would get solar power.

l do use energy saver light globes here in my home, l also have access to 2 x inverter split system airconditioner for cooling and heating, and l have access to a wall furnace for heating only, that uses gas and a electric fan to warm my home, and l have a new front load washing machine that has a 5 star energy rating and 4.5 star water rating, my hot water and oven a both gas usage only.

So l try and use what l can to save on energy cost, and l live alone here in my home with my awesome Reptile's.

You would have to heat a lot of snakes before the cost equalled that of playing golf or football each week.
Really reptiles are quite a cheap hobby, and often blamed for other energy inefficency in the house!.

You would have to heat a lot of snakes before the cost equalled that of playing golf or football each week.
Really reptiles are quite a cheap hobby,

Totally agree!!!
I was a competative Dressage rider (horses); competing most weekends, and let me assure you - that is an expensive hobby :shock:

All cages are at ambient temperature but contain a "heat cave" powered by a 25 watt globe (40 during winter). No thermostat, just a timer with no heat at night.
Going to go solar but have to repair roof first

This will probably sound dumb, but how did you set that up?
Would love to see it if possible?

my womas are on 25 watt heat cords under slate tiles, and i've just built some new beardie enclosres that are using 40watt spotlight globes, so total of 220watts for 7 enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back