Wanting Crickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandymoo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I live out of town and its 30 or 40 minutes to a pet store. Everytime i go and try to buy crickets they never have any. Its been weeks since my Bearded Dragons have had meat. They get Veges often still. But i need Crickets for them.
Is there any best place i can buy Crickets from to get them sent to me.
I live in Qld.
Thanks, Mandy.

hi mate
Does it have to be crickets?
Back when i had my bearded dragons i use to buy woodies from
The Herp Shop - Australia
They ship them via Australia post they sell them alot cheaper than the pet shops.

---------- Post added 03-Jan-11 at 04:43 PM ----------

Pm me if you have any questions

Thanks heaps guys. I might look into that.

---------- Post added 07-Jan-11 at 04:36 PM ----------

How do i set up a colony of woodies?

you can always call the petshop, ask them when they get crix in and ask them to hold some for you. Woodies are great and easy to breed but crix have their benefits, unlike roaches they dont hide all that well, roaches tend to evade capture

Hi mate
[FONT=CG Times,Times New Roman]The Feeder Roaches can be kept in plastic containers that are fitted with a lid. For small quantities, round bucket type containers are O.K but for larger quantities large flat sided containers are preferable giving the insects housing with more surface area. These should also come with a lid. The containers I use measure 60cm x 40cm x 20cm deep. The lids should be well ventilated (not just a couple of holes drilled). Cut the majority of the centre part of the lid out leaving just the outer rim and at least a 50mm section all around to fix the mesh to. Purchase enough flywire mesh (the wire one – not the fibreglass one) to cover the cut out section with a bit of overhang. With a hot soldering iron, gently press the flywire into the plastic lid. No glue needed – you now have a perfectly sealed ventilated lid.[/FONT]
[FONT=CG Times,Times New Roman]
The roaches do prefer to be kept at 25 - 30° C. This can be maintained by having them on a heat mat or flexible heating element. A probe thermostat or dimmer can control the temperature. The warmer they are, the more active they are.[/FONT]
[FONT=CG Times,Times New Roman]My colony is fed totally on GR2 (rat & mice pellets) and carrot.[/FONT][FONT=CG Times,Times New Roman]Other pellets can be fed, dog & cat, rabbit & guinea pig, Rep-Cal Cricket food etc but the ‘fresh’ carrot is important for moisture. No water is supplied. Provide enough carrot that your colony will devour in two days. Remove any uneaten carrot at this time or earlier if the carrot starts to ‘go off’.[/FONT]
[FONT=CG Times,Times New Roman]Buy about two hundred adult woodies to start of might cost you about $25-$30.
After a few weeks you will see little babies running around thats it just keep the temps up and the food
and you will have a descent supply of woodies. My 2 adult bearded dragons lived of 1 colony i had for 1 year before i sold them.
reference the herp shop
[/FONT]

one question when you cut the hole in the lid (for the fly screen) what do you use to cut the hole?

i use a knife that has just been heated over the gas stove untill red, cuts like butter

I am pretty sure Live food Unlimited , who sponsor this site, will send crickets by mail.

one question when you cut the hole in the lid (for the fly screen) what do you use to cut the hole?

I used a cutting disc on a angle grinder. (wear pants as plastic slag gets hot!)
I also have used a sharp stanley knife but always manage to crack the plastic about 3/4 of the way done.

I am pretty sure Live food Unlimited , who sponsor this site, will send crickets by mail.

Wokka, Rob Porter who is the guy that owns and manages Live Food Unlimited, will post Meal Worms-Crickets-Woodies to you no matter where you live in Australia.

l have purchase a few bulk orders of Woodies from him over the years, and he his very friendly to deal with, just log onto his website and you can place a order online.

A soldering iron also works well, plus you can melt the fly screen into the plastic afterwards.

Yep, Live Foods should be able to send them by mail.

They will also send woodies.. Best bet is to buy a starter colony (various sizes) and get some fluon.
So much cheaper.. They're very low maintenance, but sometimes I find it's easy to neglect them (forgetting to feed them).
They still are thriving, though..

l have purchase a few bulk orders of Woodies from him over the years, and he his very friendly to deal with, just log onto his website and you can place a order online.

+1. I was really happy with the way he goes about doing business. I'd recommend them for your "starter pack" if you do want to make a woodie colony.
Best thing about woodies is they don't make any noise too. The only bad thing is that they climb but if you can find some fluon (not so easy these days) that solves it

15 hours ago, I received a mere 2,500, repeat 2,500 woodies , in the middle of summer, from Rob Porter, Livefoods Unlimited...................not 1 dead one..............enough said

Best thing about woodies is they don't make any noise too. The only bad thing is that they climb but if you can find some fluon (not so easy these days) that solves it[/QUOTE]

Woodies sure don't make any noice and are easy to breed compared to crickets, you must keep them warm and provide them with fresh vegies or fruit, such as apple-carrot-lettice which is what l feed to my colony, and the way l stop my woodies from escaping from their container, is l rub vaseline around the top of the container roughly 1 inche deep so they cannot climb out and it works perfectly.

Vaseline is far more easy to get hold of than Fluon, look for it in the medical supply section at your local supermarket or chemist.

Just be careful if you use vaseline.. Combined with a bit of heat, it can get really messy..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back