Bad luck with Reptile One Fan Heat Light

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Digitaliss

So tonight I noticed that we had a blown globe in our Reptile One Fan Heat Light. The fan was still working, but the globe was not. We had a spare lamp so a grabbed the globe out of the spare (they are a nightmare to get out) and replaced the globe, only to find that it still did not work. I tested both globes in the spare unit and both globes work.

We took out the broken unit and placed it back in the box, with the receipt attached to be returned to the store in the morning.

We finished in stalling the spare unit only to find that I only had the 20w globe in it. I had noted the snake rubbing on the glass as if trying to get out and didn't think anything of it as she has been very active lately. I opened the door and all I could smell was burning. I grabbed the snake and put her straight into a click clack and immediately unplugged the burning lamp. I opened up the viv and let the smell clear. I plugged the lamp back in and closed the viv back up; Come back 5 minutes later and the burning smell had returned so it is very obviously the lamp. There is nothing else it could be, there is no other heat source.

So within the space of one hour both my main lamp fitting has broken and the spare is also unusable.

To top it off I cannot find the receipt for the 2nd one. I am hoping that the store can trace my account back and find it, as the lamps have 3yr warranty.

Has any one else has a similar issue with these lamps?

I recommend you contact Reptile one from their website. I contacted them after I had 3 globes blow within 1hr and a 4th that blew within 10hrs. They sent me 4 globes in the mail for free, apologized and couldn't be more helpful.

Thanks for the advice abnrmal91, we will be going back to the store first thing this morning.
If we don't have any luck with them, I will be sure to contacted Reptile One

These things are probably one of the worst inventions for reptile keeping. The forced circulation of warm air in the enclosure reduces the likelihood of achieving an effective heat gradient, and it is just not necessary to do this. Regardless of the life of the units, they are a gimmick which will only appeal to novice keepers...

Jamie

I had one catch on fire once, lucky I was home at the time. I now use ceiling mounted radiators.

I tried one, being new on the market it sounded ideal for a fishtank inclosure. Help move the air and get fresh in etc. It was so noisy, the vibration of the unit thru the wooden frame it was mounted to annoyed us humans and the lizards and in winter the "heat" was non existent! But atleast I tried it and know better for it and pass on that knowledge obtained by my mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back