Abbreviations or glossary

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lavagirl

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is there a thread somewhere that explains the abbreviations, etc?

For example I just read a thread talking about jags. As a newbie I have no idea what this means.

HET is another. I have read different places about it but I still dont get it.

Is there somewhere around that explains these types of things

Good idea, maybe the mods could do us a sticky if there isn't one already? PLISAH is one that gets used every day as well, but often newbies might be confused by it.

For now though, HET stands for heterozygous-having two forms of gene controlling a particular trait,one from each parent- as a result, being able to pass on either trait to offspring.

a JAG is a particular morph or mutation. It mostly affects skin pattern, but also seems to affect other systems in ways we're not completely sure about. I'm not an expert of incidence of these issues at all, but some display fairly severe problems with their nervous system.

Last edited:
Probably somewhere Jags are a cross bred snake meaning male and female from differnt species say a male jungle and a female coastal
as for het you could hear It as in darwin a 100% het for albino darwin carries the genes for albinism It can be confusing until someone exspains It to you

I really do live to give today. I must be sick.

Last edited:
Good idea, maybe the mods could do us a sticky if there isn't one already? PLISAH is one that gets used every day as well, but often newbies might be confused by it.

For now though, HET stands for heterozygous-having two forms of gene controlling a particular trait,one from each parent- as a result, being able to pass on either trait to offspring.

So what if you get one that is 70% (or whatever %) HET?

Het. is short for Hetrozygous. Het means that an animal carries a gene for something but does not physically display that trait. If an animal displays the trait they are homozygous for the trait.

if a snake is 100% het, this means that one of the parents was visually that colour.. so say 'albino', if you have a snake 100% het albino, then one parent was albino in colour the other was normal.

66% is when you have both parents holding the gene for albino, they breed and produce approx 25% albino.. this leaves 75% of the clutch. of the rest of these, 66% of them should be het for albino.

If you look at this site it might give you an idea.. New England Reptile Distributors, designer Ball Pythons, Reticulated Pythons, and much more!

I'll let someone else cover the jags.

66% is when you have both parents holding the gene for albino, they breed and produce approx 25% albino.. this leaves 75% of the clutch. of the rest of these, 66% of them should be het for albino.

if they are 66% HET then it has a 66% chance of carrying the gene. Quoting probability figures above, confuses some people by saying 66% of the normal looking clutch should be carrying the gene, where as in reality its possible none of the normal will be carrying the gene. unless of course it is 100%HET

PLISAH is one that gets used every day as well

What does it stand for?...Python Legs is ???

Couldn't find PLISAH in an online dictionary so checked for ISAH.

So it must stand for one of these

Python legs International Society for Animal Hygiene
Python legs Independent Supervisory Authority for Hunting (UK)
Python legs Iowa Sexual Abuse Hotline
Python legs Isolated Systolic Arterial Hypertension

Last edited:
PLISAH = Python Legs IS A Hottie.......la duh!:lol::lol:;)

All the snake name abbreviations tend to get me although I'm starting to get there like Mac, BHP... a lot of the others still stump me. :)

Python legs is shockingly awesomely handsome = PLISAH?

Python Legs is so astute and heroic?

Python Legs isanely sloppy and hopeless?

Ooo, yes! AE = Armchair Expert. Where'd I hear that before...

Hahaaa- I'd definitely go with Python Legs Insanely Sloppy And Hopeless...but only because of my disarmingly charming modesty.

Ooo, yes! AE = Armchair Expert. Where'd I hear that before...

Hahaaa- I'd definitely go with Python Legs Insanely Sloppy And Hopeless...but only because of my disarmingly charming modesty.

Python Legs is surely a ho?

Or a geisha girl/man

EOI -Expressions Of Interest

Actually means XXXXX is not really for sale

But if some idiot offers me way too much I might part with XXXX

Is there a thread somewhere that explains the abbreviations, etc?

For example I just read a thread talking about jags. As a newbie I have no idea what this means.

HET is another. I have read different places about it but I still dont get it.

Is there somewhere around that explains these types of things
get a coppy of the complete carpet python by dr julander and nick mutton :)
it explains everything with clear honest info and imo is a must for all new keepers
Nato

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back