Abbreviations or glossary

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so i read through the glossary of common terms in the wikki section and still couldn't find it what does ROFL mean

Probably somewhere Jags are a cross bred snake meaning male and female from differnt species say a male jungle and a female coastal
This is wrong

so i read through the glossary of common terms in the wikki section and still couldn't find it what does ROFL mean

It's not a herp term which is probably why it's not in the glossary. It's Rolling On the Floor Laughing. Used when something is really funny and "lol" doesn't represent your appreciation

Last edited:
Thomasssss, try this in future when look for meanings of abbreviations: The Largest List of Text Message Shorthand (IM, SMS) and Internet Acronyms Found of the Web - kept current and up-to-date by NetLingo The Internet Dictionary: Online Dictionary of Computer and Internet Terms, Acronyms, Text Messaging, Smileys ;-)

JAG stands for Jaguar. It is applied to a line of Coastal Carpet Pythons originating in Norway in 1994 from a breeder called Eric Engell. The original animal was a one-off in the clutch and showed a marked reduction in patterning compared to your normal Coastal Carpet (Morelia spilotes mcdowelli). Lacking almost all patterning on the back and only a series of well separated blotches along each side. These were black edged with light brown in the inside – like the "spots" on a jaguar. This mutation is a form of "reduced pattern" mutation. The same mutation has arisen here within Australian stocks.

The Norway jags were exported world wide and widely bred, particularly in America.. However, problems arose. It is believed that there is a gene on the same chromosome and close to the jag mutation gene, which is responsible for neurological disease. This disease is variable in its onset and severity. It appears stress can trigger it and make it worse. If triggered early, it is often more severe. As far as I know, this hypothesis is yet to be confirmed scientifically.

HET = heterozygous: The two genes for a given characteristic are of two different forms.

Genetics
It is evident a lot of people have not got a good handle on the genetics. I spent some time this morning putting together some simple notes on the basics of genetics, at a level that applies to breeding and reptiles. I don't wish to post them if no-one wants to read them them. I am happy to PM a set to anyone but you will loose some of the formatting via PM. Up to you.

Blue

cheers saximus and to bluetounge1 i would like to have a lil read of the genetics notes you can either pm them to me or post it here up to you cheers again

BASIC GENETICS
There are a lot wrong ideas floating around with regards to genetics. Now is as good a time as any to help those who want to be helped to correct those misconceptions. Bear in mind that this is a simplification and it is more complex at times.

Genes, Pairs of genes, Variation
Genes control our inherited characteristics. Genes operate in pairs because we get one from dad and one from mum for every inherited characteristic. When our body makes sex cells (sperm or eggs) it splits up each pair so there is only one gene present in each sex cell.

The form of a given gene can vary. For example, we all have a pair of genes for determining blood type. There are three forms to this gene – O, A, B. The O form produces Type O blood. The A form produces Type A blood. And the B Type B blood. Different forms of the same gene are what produce the variation you see in a species. They all have the same set of genes – but the form of each can vary.

Homozygous and Heterozygous
In a given gene pair, if both forms are identical, then the organism is said to be homozygous. "Homo" means "same" and the "zygote" is the cell formed when a sperm fertilises an egg. So the name the name basically means the egg and the sperm carried he same form of that gene when they got it together.

In a given gene pair, if both forms are different, then the organism is said to be heterozygous. "Hetero" means "different".

Examples of gene pairs using blood group genes:
Homozygous = [Type O + Type O] , [Type A + Type A] , [Type B + Type B]
Heterozygous = [Type O + Type A] , [Type B + Type A] , [Type B + Type O]

Dominant and Recessive, Co-Dominant
You might well wonder, what happens when you get two different forms of a gene (heterozygous). Which form wins or do both? The answer is that it depends on the gene pair. Some gene forms will completely dominate another form and some will be equally dominant with each other. The terms genetics uses are:
Dominant = Completely masks the effects of a recessive gene.
Recessive = Its effects are complete masked by a dominant gene, as if it was not there.
Co-Dominant = The effects of both genes come out, either separately or blended.

Examples using gene pairs for blood group genes;
The genes for Type A and Type B are co-dominant and Type O is recessive to both. The resulting blood groups for different gene pairs are as follows.
[A A] or [A O] = Blood Type A;
[B B] or [B O] = Blood Type B;
[A B] = Blood Type AB;
[O O] = Blood Type O.

Chromosomes and DNA
Humans have well in excess of 20,000 genes. That would be a lot to sort out if they were hanging around individually. They are actually joined together in a given order in long strands called chromosomes. There are 23 different chromosomes in total. Our chromosomes are paired. We get one of each from mum and one of each from dad. So all human cells, except sex cells, contain 46 chromosomes = 23 paired chromosomes.

Genes are made up of a chemical called DNA. This chemical has a structure a bit like a ladder and the order of the chemicals that make up the rungs of the ladder is the code that instructs a cell what to do. Chromosomes are basically incredibly long strands of DNA. The DNA can wind up, like fishing line on a hand reel, and does so during cell division. This is when the chromosomes become visible. The rest of the time they unwind and cannot be seen.

Mutations
A mutation is a permanent change in a gene. They can be caused a number of things such as radiation, certain chemicals, errors in copying chromosomes and other factors. Most mutations are harmful and recessive. A few are neutral and very, very rarely you get one that is advantageous.

In-breeding and Mutations
Everyone carries some mutations. Dominant mutations that are harmful usually result in death before reproductive age. So they tend to quickly eliminate themselves from the gene pool. So we carry a range of recessive mutations. You don't see them because they are recessive and different to the mutations that others carry, so when the genes pairs are formed in offspring, you tend to have normal healthy genes matched up with any mutations.

When two individuals who are closely related produce offspring, the chance of getting two identical mutant recessive genes (homozygous for the mutation) coming together becomes highly likely. Inbreeding can produce some really interesting mutations to colour but it can also be accompanied by other less desirable mutations.

Blue

EDIT: Forgot a couple of important definitions.
Genotype: The two genes possessed for a given characteristic e.g. [A B]
Phenotype: The actual appearance of a characteristic controlled by the two genes e.g. Type AB blood

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice post Blue. Would you mind giving me some references (online if that's what you used) so I can read some more about it? I'm especially interested in the blood type thing. I (stupidly) hadn't even realised that was controlled by genes and It's interesting to hear type-O is recessive since my understanding is that it is the most common. Also, where does the negative or positive come in with that?

cheers blue im still learning about all this stuff so these sorta things help thanks again

Saximus,
Sorry, that's entirely out of my head. I have no idea what would be good reference other than suggesting you get hold of a high school science text with genetics in it as a topic.

I did not discuss the concept of gene frequency. The genes in a given population might be 80% O, 14% A and 6% B. Whether a gene is common or rare is not related to whether it is recessive or dominant. It is related to whether it has an effect on survival. Genes that are neutral on survival, can be common or rare, dominant or recessive.

ABO Blood Grouping
The ABO Blood Grouping is caused by one gene pair that controls a protein that is part of the outside membrane of red blood cells (RBC). The O gene does not any protein; The A gene produces a protein – let's call it Protein A; The B gene produces a protein – let's call it Protein B. For example, if you have the gene pair [A O] you will produce protein A on your RBCs.

The body's immune system works o recognition of self and attacking of anything non-self. Proteins are the distinctive chemicals that make up the membranes of all cells, bacteria and fungi included, and virus particles. So the immune system is geared to attack any foreign proteins. If you are Type AB blood, your body recognises protein A and protein B as self. So you can put blood from any of the ABO blood groups into your body and it will not attack it. You are a UNIVERSAL RECIPIENT. If you have Type O blood, your body will attack any blood that has protein A or Protein B in it. You can therefore only receive Type O blood. However, because you lack either protein, your blood can be put into anyone else and it won't be attacked. You are the UNIVERSL DONOR.

Some interesting facts
This I did look up. Lol. Australians of European origin are approximately 42% A, 9% B, 3% AB, 46% O. Australian Aborigines and Eskimos are approx 50% A, 50% O. South American Indians are 100% O.

Rhesus Factor
A separate gene that produces another protein (called Protein D) in the membrane of RBCs, was first discovered in Rhesus monkeys. There are two forms to the gene. One produces the protein while the other does not. So Rh+ gene produces protein D. The Rh- gene does not produce a protein. Individuals who are Rh+ can receive blood from Rh- individuals. Those who are Rh- can only receive Rh- blood. If Rh+ blood is used in a transfusion, their body will recognise protein D as non self and attack that blood.

Other Blood Groupings
There are several more genes that produce different forms of proteins in RBCs. I don't know much about them but the genes for producing a protein are extremely rare compare to does not produce a protein form of the gene. Hence you will sometimes read that somebody has a rare blood type.

Hope that helps,
Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back