How mad are these fellas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm, nah! You can keep them. I have an intolerance to bee and wasp stings. I tend to get quite ill. I still have a huge calcified lump on my head where I was stung by a bee about 15 years ago

Regularly see them dragging huntsmans around our place. I am a bit scared of huntsmans so i like them

Thanks for the input peeps,...I'll not be cooking it it will stay till it needs to go....I've not yet seen any spider action as yet but will keep an eye out,....it getting clay from next door as they are putting a trench in and with all the rain comes free nest building material. I am allergic to bees so might be a bit cautious :/

Hey guys/girls, yah have never heard of anyone getting stung by one of these critters.
Mostly they just keep to themselves & leave everything else alone except grubs & spiders.

I have seen on 2 seperate ocassions a different more bigger & orange hornet drag a large wolf spider or huntsman at least 100 meters backwards over the ground to the exact same spot where it laid or was going to lay its eggs in a burrow in the ground. How the hell they can do that through gardens & over logs etc backwards & go straight to thier hole has got me buggered.
Better compass map than i have got.

Cheers
Ian

I did watch it trek up and over the fence and back several times with a load of mud the went inside the hole at base and packed it in there,....when it flew out it stopped at in font of me did a bit of a up and down then swung around and back over the fence to get more mud, fascinating critter.

I have sat there for a few hours before and watched one of these build its nest. Was amazing. Hard little workers.

Oh god... I can not deal with wasps. If this was my backyard, I would have run inside screaming like a dork... and stayed there for the rest of the day :)

I am so pleased you are co-existing with them B :) I say live and let live :) I am allergic to bees and most stinging critters, but I never kill them... They are all beautiful and serve a purpose unlike a lot of people ;)

I am so pleased you are co-existing with them B :) I say live and let live :) I am allergic to bees and most stinging critters, but I never kill them... They are all beautiful and serve a purpose unlike a lot of people ;)

lol to true my dear ;)

Great photos. I find wasps fascinating. We have many different species nesting around and in the house. I find if you just stay calm they are too and have never been stung.
Thought you might like to see this. The wasp is Abispa ephippium and is 3cm long. I love the funnel entrances they make. Took this on my phone so a bad pic. Will crack out the camera if it ever stops raining!
View attachment 241480
These wasps sometimes buzz around your face staring directly at you - I think they are merely looking for caterpillars in orifices!

Last edited:
A few additional points...

Simply because they are reluctant to sting humans does not mean that they don't sting. They are capable of paralysing prey so they capable of injecting toxins into humans. If you were unlucky enough to put your hand on one or slap one that has landed on your bare skin without you seeing what it was, you would likely get stung.

The main reason that wasps and ants that sting will bite you first, is that they need a firm purchase in order to push their stinger into your flesh. Unlike bees, they can sting multiple times will no ill effect on the wasp or ant. Unfortunately, the bite from some of the larger ants is as nasty as their sting. I have plucked off a biting bulljoe, only to have it leave its mandibles embedded in my flesh.

Wasps will build their nests where there is some form of shelter. Mud daubers in particular are careful to construct their nests out of the weather. As the eaves of houses afford excellent protection it is not unusual for them to build on the upper sections of outside walls.

You do not have to kill it to get rid of it. Wait until it leaves the nest and then scrap the nest off from where it is attached. Throw some water over the area or hose it. The wasp will hang around for a while when it returns but will eventually move off to a more secure site to build its nest.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back