How mad are these fellas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my dad was stung twice by one of those a week or so ago.

get the matches

BOO!! Almost akin to "get the spade".

Nice one, mate:)! Did you notice her collecting spiders over the last few weeks as a food source for her younguns? Or perhaps she's yet to begin??

Last edited by a moderator:
do wasps bite or sting? do they have a stinger in their abdomen? i always thought they bit, i recall being attached by a swam of paper wasps and had a few stuck to my cloths and they were clearly biting and holding on with there head\mouth\pincer\bitey bits

Mud Dauber Wasp? Need someone with more experience to confirm though.

do wasps bite or sting? do they have a stinger in their abdomen? i always thought they bit, i recall being attached by a swam of paper wasps and had a few stuck to my cloths and they were clearly biting and holding on with there head\mouth\pincer\bitey bits
sting. the wasps that were biting you must have been trying to grip onto you so they could sting, been stung by a bullant and it did the exact same thing.

What type of wasp is that? Looks bloody mean
vespid/potter wasp

Their actually black and yellow Hornets and pretty much harmless leave them alone to collect all your spiders.

Get them out of there Brett! They are one of my biggest hates! I am terrified of wasps/hornets and I think that big bastard would be keeping me indoors!

Their actually black and yellow Hornets and pretty much harmless leave them alone to collect all your spiders.

A black a yellow hornet is more of a description not a species, and yeah there pretty much harmless unless your allergic.

they aren't spider hunters.

They do hunt spiders mate..

Mud dauber wasp paralysing spider.jpg

Last edited:
Those fellas dont hurt ya its the little paper wasps that sting. They dont actually eat spiders themselves they are nectar drinkers but they do collect spiders to place an egg on so the little grubs have a meal waiting for them when they hatch. the spiders are still alive just paralized so stay fresh until there eaten by grubs. If they morph into wasps they will come back over and over to roughly the same spot to build new nests. These guys are lone hunters and therefore avoid confrontation unlike paper wasps that work as group to feed and protect young.

Nice bit of info, mate:)! I've seen one of these guys tackle a large huntsman (not the human variety, the spider), had trouble getting off the ground with such a large spider:)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back