A question to all you Woma owners if you please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Endeavour

Reaction score
I have male and female Woma Pythons both being about 7 months old. My question is, Is it safe to handle both of them together or have them near each other whilst out of their enclosures?. I am new to Womas but realise they can be cannibalistic so this is of concern to me. Whilst on the subject of cannibalism I have seen footage from Australia Zoe where Womas are housed together so was wondering is cohabitation something some keepers 'risk' or is their no danger with the correct age/sex combination of snakes.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Last edited:
I've had mine out together, but I'd never house them together.
As long as you're aware of what could happen and you keep an eye on them while they're out you should be okay. if you've got one that absolutely food nuts I wouldn't risk it though.

They should be fine together, supervised of course.

It's a risk taken keeping them together, don't think for one second that just because a zoo does it you won't have any issues. Zoos have lost plenty of animals due to housing animals together.

They should be fine together, supervised of course.

It's a risk taken keeping them together, don't think for one second that just because a zoo does it you won't have any issues. Zoos have lost plenty of animals due to housing animals together.

And all for the sake of presentation...

I've had mine out together, but I'd never house them together.
As long as you're aware of what could happen and you keep an eye on them while they're out you should be okay. if you've got one that absolutely food nuts I wouldn't risk it though.

That sort of rules it out then as one of them acts crazy when there is any food about.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

my woma tried to eat my dogs bed once so i would say be careful. they do not have a normal or logical feeding response which has come as a part of their desert survival plan "shoot first ask questions later". I have also had my womas try to eat me on many occasions they are very good handlers and dont bite out of fear they just sometimes have a sniff of your hand and consider you to be edible and whamo all of a sudden you have a woma bulldogged onto you, it would be hard to separate them if they did this to each other.

This should answer your question..
I have also had him try to eat the hook, a pillow case, me (numerous times), the stream of water while I was topping up his bowl and himself.

hungry-woma2.jpg

My female woma latched onto her own side when she misjudged the distance of a food item.

It's a hellish thing trying to get them to let go of a perceived food item..even when they have hold of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back