Woma Python feding/behaviour question if you please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Endeavour

Reaction score
Got a couple of Woma's when they were young they were both crazy aggressive feeders but now (at about 18 month's old) they are so laid back when they feed, they don't strike any more and slowly approach their meals. They only seem interested in a meal every 14-21 days where as when they were younger I think they would have eaten till they burst if given the opportunity. Is this typical of other keepers experiences?, would be very interested to read your experiences.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

i had a female do the same a few months after i got her as a hatchy from the breeder , except she will still eat when ever offered just lost the need to strike her food

I think it is the sign of well fed, well looked after snakes :D

I think they might be so comfortable with thier surrounds and know that food can be taken at leisure, rather than having to sledge it as soon as it turns up..... in case it runs away :lol:

My bredli and one of my macs are like that.... plant thier nose up against the rat for a little while, then slowly turn thier head and open the gob.... a couple of lazyy coils then eat the rat :rolleyes:

So now, I wait for them to get it in thier mouth, then jiggle and tug the rat by the tail to make them think the rat is trying to get away :shock: they have got a bit of thier mojo back and at least have a half hearted strike at the rats again now :lol:

My Jungle is an aggressive feeder - Always the strike/coil combo.

My female MD does the strike/coil combo for the most part, but sometimes would rather take it on the ground and just walk her mouth over it.

The male MD never used to stirke and coil, even when I first got him (I chucked a Pinky Rat in his click-clack, was gone a while later).
Then there was a time where I used to have to put the food item on top of him and he'd walk his mouth over it.
Then he decided to go off his food for about 2 months.
These days though he's got his mojo back (as CRB said) and is back to the good old strike/coil combo.

My MDP (Yarrum, 1 yo) is like a bullet :shock: you open his door and get the rat just passed the opening and whack! he has it and a few coils around it faster than you can blink! I have to be ready to catch him and put him back in the enclosure, or he will fall on the floor :lol: He is such a guts! ;)

He has the thing so wrapped up I can actually handle him to get him back into the enclosure and get the door shut.... there is absolutely no way he will ease up on the coils around the rat tho! He looks at me like "P.O. this is mine, find your own!" :lol:

Yeah my girl was extremely laid back when I got her. Never refused a feed, just showed no enthusiasm whatsoever. Now she is by no means an aggressive feeder, but she is a little more enthusiastic than she once was.

My black headed python does it realy realy lazy opens his mouth and takes the rat by the head drags it off into his hide like his got all the time in the world in the other hand my yearling darwin is crazy feeder have to watch my hands when he smells the rat anythigs that moves is food to him

How are you feeding him? Are you holding the food or leaving it in his enclosure. Our Woma was refusing meals until I realised he likes to find it himself with no one aroundl. Now we leave the dead rat on his rock and he finds it and eats it after we leave, usually during the night.

How are you feeding him? Are you holding the food or leaving it in his enclosure. Our Woma was refusing meals until I realised he likes to find it himself with no one aroundl. Now we leave the dead rat on his rock and he finds it and eats it after we leave, usually during the night.

Just leave it in his enclosure mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back