Spotted Python Hatchling click-clack or 4ft enclosure ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halim122

Reaction score
Hi
im new to all this i just got my python today for my early 18th pressy with full setup and enclosure and food. Just wondering if it would be fine to put my hatchling in its new enviroment. i'm leaving it in the click clack for tonight because im unsure and really dont want to stress it out. He/She unknown sex is about 3 months old its eaten 3 pinkie feeds without any help i think and was recomended to start on fuzzies this thursday i really need some pro help much apprecaited.

Halim.

Pics.
IMG_0141.jpgIMG_0142.jpg4 ft tank full set enclsure
IMG_0143.jpgIMG_0144.jpgclick clack with my baby :p
IMG_0145.jpgIMG_0146.jpg

Last edited:
leave in click clack for a while yet. 3 feeds in 3 months isnt what youd call a good feeder where did you get it?
Cover three sides of click clack so it feels safer and therefore more likely to eat.

hey mate i would keep it in its click clack for now that tank is way to big while its so small. young pythons have a tendancy to get stressed in big enclosures. wait till hes a lot larger before you movi him into the larger one.

Id personally keep a hatchy in a small tub and wouldnt upgrade to a full size enclosure till there a year old...
But if you must move it make sure your enclosure has alot of places to hide...

3 feeds in 3 months isnt what youd call a good feeder
lol sry i ment like i think its had 3 feed byitself without help i think
and brought it from Pet City in mount gravatt qld a few workers there breed green tree pythons

Last edited:
Leave him in his click clack for a while, then put the click clack in the big enclosure. After he settles, leave the lid off the cc inside the enclosure, he can decide to stay in cc or venture out into the big enclosure.

I did this with my MDP and he is in a 45 x 30 reptile one glass enclosure and very happy. He is about 5 months old now.

i picked up my baby spotted yesterday, hes about 3 months old too. the pet store told us he has to stay in the click clack until he is atleast 6 months and then we can try him in his tank and see how it goes.

If you keep him in the URS enclosure you will need to block off the holes around the top for the cords , otherwise he will be long gone.
If hes eating fine it wont matter if hes in the 4 footer or click clack.

looks like a great setup. stay with the click clack for a bit. like the others said i left my snake in a tub till he was about 6 months but he's going to be a 8-10 footer one day. so long as he can stretch half his body out in the tub he'll be fine. snakes grow fast so it wont be long till he's in his new home.

That is a great looking enclosure ad you will certainy get a lot of joy out of it in the years to come. Definately leave it in the click clack for a good while yet and Ratbag's suggestion is great too as he will get used to the smell of his new home while feeling safe. The one thing I would add though esp as your enclosure is 4ft is put more hiding spots in. My yearling spotted is 70cm and is very happy in his 2ft tank although he is big enough that if I had somewhere to put a 4ft one like that he would certainly cope.

Have a look in here http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/first-go-habitat-build-179373/ I posted some up to date pics. My boy loves to hide under the rock arch as tiny as possible when he feels vulnerable like just before a shed, and despite his length you are flat out seeing him because he coils up so tight.

By the way, can anyone tell me how to move my attachments into an album on my profile?

Also someone with a bit more knowledge might be better on this but I would feed him a pinky once a week for atleast the next four weeks and look at how well he feeds and how big the bump is before moving him up a food size. I'm surprised it has only fed three times in three months.

Last edited:
If you keep him in the URS enclosure you will need to block off the holes around the top for the cords , otherwise he will be long gone.
as above , just dont use anykind of sticky tape [ snakes and adhesive tapes dont mix]

It's a shame the pet stores don't give out better after sales advice and help like private breeders do (you pay more for the animal and get less in the long run).

It seems people forget that outside of captivity these things hatch into a very LARGE environment. If being in a large, open environment was overly damaging to a young pythons mental state / health there'd be a problem or two in wild population numbers.

Providing there are adequate hides and temps it should be fine in the enclosure.

It's a shame the pet stores don't give out better after sales advice and help like private breeders do (you pay more for the animal and get less in the long run).

Some give better advice than the forums , it all depends who serves you.

Providing there are adequate hides and temps it should be fine in the enclosure.

And there is the guts of it. Like I said, the current setup has not enough hiding areas to move between. My guy now has a new hiding spot, since adding the plants I put one behind his hide in the corner which was always a small space but he never used it he now spends considerable time curled up in that squishy spot under the plant. Note, he is not a 'little' hatchy and still likes having hiding spots in his 2ft habitat.

Born in the wild in 'the open space' they spend most of their time hiding in amongst the rocks or up under railway sleepers and bridges... this is where we find a lot of Macs in the wild around here.

Just noticed too how big that hide is in your proper enclosure, make sure you give him/her some cosy/tighter spots to hide in. Hatchies will happily use toilet rolls or hides the size of a packet of smokes.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for you advice guys i have added alot of hides and let him/her go and loves it its exploreing the whole setup thanks again

Be very careful putting it into enclosure that size, they fit through the tinniest of gaps and you won't notice it's gone till too late, I had mine in a small terrarium 30x30x30 that had been used to display hatchies, had sealed any gap I could find and mine got out still, found after about a month missing. Spotteds love going on adventures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back