Why...................

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the existence of god is logically possible, then the worst a believer should be called is 'irrational'. Of course others will call them much worse, disgusted at the hate that religion has spread, and fearful of that it will do if allowed to do so. If you don't like a show you change the channel or turn the TV off. Likewise if you think a particular thread will contain material which is offensive to yourself then simply don't open it up. Here in Australia people are over sensitive to having their religious views challenged because we are such a civilized country. We don't fear for our lives every day like other people do. And so we have become somewhat hypersensitive to criticism of our most fundamental views. People should grow a thick skin, for their own benefit.

Yes, perhaps I just want people to be too soft and cuddly....:lol: and I think that probably stems from my youth...my first husband once told me I was the hardest person he'd ever met....I was a very angry defensive person...and as I've grown older I've learned to soften...I'm glad I'm not a hard bitch anymore....but my hardness was a defence....

I think you and some others are totally missing my point.......some people on here have suggested that those who have a belief in a God have an....... imaginary friend.....I think this is disrepectful. It could just as easily have been some people saying for instance......they think all people who like black headed pythons are idiots....that is also disrespectful to those who have and love BHPs...it's putting someone down, it's not necessary and it's not nice. My post has nothing to do with who tries to preach to you at a bus stop or comes to your door. If I'd seen some religious fundamentalists here calling atheists names, I would also see that as being offensive, and suggest people be more polite....this has nothing to do with what I may or may not believe in myself.....

why should referring to god as someones imaginary friend be offensive in any way, to me it's a completely logical statement after you consider where god exists and that is largely in peoples imaginations and they believe he is their friend, seems like it's completely logical and not in the least offensive..

why should referring to god as someones imaginary friend be offensive in any way, to me it's a completely logical statement after you consider where god exists and that is largely in peoples imaginations and they believe he is their friend, seems like it's completely logical and not in the least offensive..

I think the word.... imaginary....has the connotation of being... unreal !! And to them He/She isn't unreal...but very real.

I've never had an Atheist knock on my door at an inconvenient time, preach about the virtues of Atheism then expect me to donate to their congregation.

I've never had an Atheist knock on my door at an inconvenient time, preach about the virtues of Atheism then expect me to donate to their congregation.

Actually I don't get religious people knock on my door anymore either.....haven't come for a few years....maybe they think I've got a big scary snake in my house..... ;)

On the 8th day god created Beard and on the 9th day he thought 'oh *******, what have I done'.

I've had many great 'discussions' with various religious friends, of varying religions. Some have been rather open minded and others have been nutter fanatics. Its always been interesting though.

I'm a non believer. I believe that IF there is a higher 'being', its more likely to be the earth its self. But at the end of the day, why should anyones personal belief and opinions have any affect on others?

Unfortunately it down to human nature and an unwavering belief that the individual is correct, a desire to be heard and acknowledged and an irrational fear of pineapples..........

A good book to read.
A brief history of time by Steven Hawking.
Even a very smart person like Hawking believes in God.
We dont put him down as a nutter.

[. :D I'm just a silly old grannie and hate it when I see the possibility of ANYONE being offended about anything. I don't know how genuine other people on this site are, but I can assure you, I am 110% genuine, sincere and the real deal.....I get ... foot in mouth disease... from time to time like everyone and I'm very, very human, but I try to be nice and honest to people.[/QUOTE]

It is a funny world ,my mother goes to church every sunday and beleives everything she is told -- i dont go to church and question most things ,Pastafaianism is a new religion but unlike most new religions (and some old ones ) it is not purely to make money . nor is it there to mock other religions the website makes an interesting and humorus read .

and grannieannie dont wory about the ones who persecute and mock your religion , become a nudist and tell your family friends and work mates about it the you will know the meaning of these words - but if its what you want out of your life you just shoose ( that is meant to be a polite word for shut up ) but it dose not look right ! and put up with it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes it's hard not to get personal when discussing things that you believe in so wholeheartedly!

Neither side of the religious debate can really ever be 100% right though, so the argument or discussion is pointless.

Erbitting the oarth.

I do not care if god created the world or the big bang theory and evolution rule. Do not care in the slightest. why should anyone care if they believe one way or the other? Get over it both paties, we live we die, what happens to us afterwards is your own belief. until then pull your head in and respect each others theories without belittle ones belief. You want facts? Not going to happen people on both sides, get over it. Move on and live and let live. We wonder why there is so much racisim and hatred in the world!

well said.

[. :D I'm just a silly old grannie and hate it when I see the possibility of ANYONE being offended about anything. I don't know how genuine other people on this site are, but I can assure you, I am 110% genuine, sincere and the real deal.....I get ... foot in mouth disease... from time to time like everyone and I'm very, very human, but I try to be nice and honest to people.

It is a funny world ,my mother goes to church every sunday and beleives everything she is told -- i dont go to church and question most things ,Pastafaianism is a new religion but unlike most new religions (and some old ones ) it is not purely to make money . nor is it there to mock other religions the website makes an interesting and humorus read .

and grannieannie dont wory about the ones who persecute and mock your religion , become a nudist and tell your family friends and work mates about it the you will know the meaning of these words - but if its what you want out of your life you just shoose ( that is meant to be a polite word for shut up ) but it dose not look right ! and put up with it :)[/QUOTE]

I have never said what I believe or don't believe..... I've just asked that people on both sides of the fence don't put each other down.

A good book to read.
A brief history of time by Steven Hawking.
Even a very smart person like Hawking believes in God.
We dont put him down as a nutter.

I always thought Hawking was an atheist.....

and grannieannie dont wory about the ones who persecute and mock your religion , become a nudist and tell your family friends and work mates about it the you will know the meaning of these words - but if its what you want out of your life you just shoose ( that is meant to be a polite word for shut up ) but it dose not look right ! and put up with it :)

I have never said what I believe or don't believe..... I've just asked that people on both sides of the fence don't put each other down.

I always thought Hawking was an atheist.....[/QUOTE]

You silly head annie, you're confusing aethist with vegetable...

I know, highly offensive...........................................

Why must respect be given automatically?

Am I to respect anyone's opinion no matter how absurd it is?
Am I to respect those who want, as an example, creationism taught in schools?

I don't follow. If anything, I find undue respect does little more than stifle conversation/debate
by whitewashing and masking the topic at hand with silly pleasantries. But, that's just me :)

Defending ad hominem arguments | Bensonian

Last edited:
Well... yes, I think we should respect everyones right to have different opinions to our own. We don't have to agree with others, but we should still respect their democratic right to have a different view.

To be honest I find it VERY annoying when people start quoting the bible on here.
Just get's up my nose and sometimes it probably makes me a little edgey.

But they started it Grannieannie not me : )

I don't follow. If anything, I find undue respect does little more than stifle conversation/debate
by whitewashing and masking the topic at hand with silly pleasantries. But, that's just me :)

Agreed. Political correctness was/is taken to insane lengths and is a great example of how, when people are afraid to be offensive, the life goes out of debate.

I don't think anyone's opinion or belief should be off-limits to criticism. However, it's still possible to be polite about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back