Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TreeHugger

Reaction score
313688_10150918412840634_881290633_21800389_1844156869_n (1).jpg
Hey peoples. This is my Darwin, but the question is, which morelia is my little boys friend?

;)

Beautiful I know!

I was putting my money on jungle. But my ID skills are failing me!

OK i think its definitely a jungle....?

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards coastal as well, is it also your snake? If so did the seller not know the subspecies? A few more photos would be great, especially of the head/face. The eyes look strangely light - sorta looks blind in one**?

**If there is something going on with that eye it looks like ophthalmitis, an infection near the eye that can cause blindness. Of course I'm only speculating on photo based on what I can see but if it's a wild snake you need to keep it away from yours as it could be contaminated with parasites such as worms or bacteria that would be associated with an infection.

Last edited:
What was it sold to you as..? Seriously, i don't get why people buy something then doubt what it is and have to ask for an ID when it is just what you bought it as..

I'm leaning towards coastal as well, is it also your snake? If so did the seller not know the subspecies? A few more photos would be great, especially of the head/face. The eyes look strangely light - sorta looks blind in one**?

**If there is something going on with that eye it looks like ophthalmitis, an infection near the eye that can cause blindness. Of course I'm only speculating on photo based on what I can see but if it's a wild snake you need to keep it away from yours as it could be contaminated with parasites such as worms or bacteria that would be associated with an infection.

Hey guys thanks for your replies. OK I have some more photos. It isn't a wild snake

My friend got this snake for free from a friend I believe that owns a few snakes but they didn't know the subspecies but we were thinking coastal or jungle....But snake seemed healthy for months and months before this photo was taken (wouldn't knowingly risk my guy)

This eye condition you speak of.. you cant really see in the other photos I have.. I hope not for the snakes sake (and mine but this photo was so long ago and my snake is perfectly healthy)

He/ she seems really dark though don't you guys think? Puzzling!
019.jpg

On a side note, I have never seen a difference between the eyes of this snake... It was really sunny that afternoon.. Could it be light reflection?

What was it sold to you as..? Seriously, i don't get why people buy something then doubt what it is and have to ask for an ID when it is just what you bought it as..

Hey mate not my snake. I am just curious. I wouldn't buy a snake I didn't know the ID of.. that's the whole fun of snake owning right...? having one of each? KIDDING. but seriously. Not my snake

Attachments

• 318497_10150964246400634_881290633_21991997_1222179713_n.jpg
    318497_10150964246400634_881290633_21991997_1222179713_n.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Hey mate not my snake. I am just curious. I wouldn't buy a snake I didn't know the ID of.. that's the whole fun of snake owning right...? having one of each? KIDDING. but seriously. Not my snake

Then what was it sold to the owner as? It's still the same thing. People can't just think "Oh it looks like something so i'll call it that". Yeah, it looks very junglish but if it was sold as say a coastal then you can't call it a jungle.

Then what was it sold to the owner as? It's still the same thing. People can't just think "Oh it looks like something so i'll call it that". Yeah, it looks very junglish but if it was sold as say a coastal then you can't call it a jungle.

It was given for free and as far as I know the previous owner was pretty vague what is was (any sensible person would question why he didn't know - but we are not my friend who took it) This is all the info I have.

Wasnt said to be coastal or jungle.

For my satisfaction I am asking if you guys would be able to properly identify it.

I will pass the msg on that vet visit is in order. And keep an eye on my Darwin, But as i said this was quiet a while ago, and my snake is perfectly healthy.

Thanks for everyone's input.

It was given for free and as far as I know the previous owner was pretty vague what is was (any sensible person would question why he didn't know - but we are not my friend who took it) This is all the info I have.

Wasnt said to be coastal or jungle.

In that case it really shouldn't be called anything but a morelia, people can guess but theres no sure way of knowing if it's mixed or not. I'd also suggest to your friend they don't breed it, unless in something like a jag project where purity doesn't matter.

There is clearly something up with that snakes eye/s, I would be taking it to a vet

I'm trying to see whats wrong with his eyes but in no photo you can see his eyes what are you on about ?

I'm trying to see whats wrong with his eyes but in no photo you can see his eyes what are you on about ?

lol either your being sarcastic or you need a trip to the vet to get your eyes checked out also..

In the first photo I posted there is a glint in the eye, which either could be light or angle of light, or could be a health problem. I do not know.

In that case it really shouldn't be called anything but a morelia, people can guess but theres no sure way of knowing if it's mixed or not. I'd also suggest to your friend they don't breed it, unless in something like a jag project where purity doesn't matter.

I'm sure this snake is just a pet to its owner at this stage, however i doubt he would try and sell as the subspecies if he didn't know.

That's a good point, that it might be mixed.

Still keen to hear what people have to say for the subspecies though, (not to clarify, opinions would be enough)

So eye problems aside - ?

Last edited:
I will admit none of the shots give a clear view of the eyes so nothing is "clearly up with them" as I said, but in the first and last pics the eyes are without a doubt white

And as far as identifying it, like other have said, since you do not know its heritage then it should be treated as "mixed morelia".
I can see why you may say it looks a bit like a Jungle, but the head pattern says Coastal to me

Last edited:
lol either your being sarcastic or you need a trip to the vet to get your eyes checked out also..

No it's the fact I'm using tapatalk on my phone I can't really get a huge picture to see anything with the eyes

I'm so sorry that I can't see anything that's why I was asking if that ok with you ?

I will admit none of the shots give a clear view of the eyes so nothing is "clearly up with them" as I said, but in the first and last pics the eyes are without a doubt white

And as far as identifying it, like other have said, since you do not know its heritage then it should be treated as "mixed morelia".
I can see why you may say it looks a bit like a Jungle, but the head pattern says Coastal to me

Ok thanks for that. I am not clued up on head markings so that's interesting! Mixed Morelia it is guys - and Khagen thanks :)

Do you guys think its common for such a dark colouration of the snake? spose if its mixed anything could be viable. Such a rookie. Just trying to understand!

Yeah not sure Jake007. Have never seen anything wrong with the eyes in person, so who knows. have passed on to possibly take to vet though.

Looks coastal to me....

How good is it at 8 ball?

He represents in 8 ball CaptainRatbag... He kills it! Thanks for your input also!

The only thing I could see with the eyes is it appears there is a very slight bulge but nothing overly abnormal.

Doesnt look like there is any problem with it's eyes, Our Darwin has Silver - almost white eyes like that, it's really nice. Would need a closer more clear picture to see if there was actualy a problem.

Also.. I think the main problem here is that it seams that the snake in question is wild caught.. If it was purchased on lisence the snake would have accompanying paperwork stating the snakes Species..

Why can't people just admit its a wild caught snake.. And if they arnt comfortable admitting it then they shouldnt post it for id.. No offense.. but thats just silly..

Why can't people just admit its a wild caught snake.. And if they arnt comfortable admitting it then they shouldnt post it for id.. No offense.. but thats just silly..

Well i'm not taking offense so all good Webless. I would never catch a snake from the wild mate. Its against everything I am for with wildlife and within my career, not to mention illegal.

I am going off the info I HAVE BEEN TOLD. It could be a lie- could be perfectly truthful but i'm not about to go look at someone else s paper work.

Webless, in the end its your personal opinion, so think what you believe. Not my problem. If it was wild caught I don't know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back