Groundhog day! Yup, coastal number 3, 2nd in 2 days!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainRatbag

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A 2.4m coastal yesterday, another one today, about 2m this one. Feeding the rats as usual, here he is sitting ontop of a cage.... purving on the rats.... again :facepalm:

Someone said in the last thread they wish they had visitors like that..... :lol:, I was pretty happy the first one, fairly happy with yesterdays.... but now I am sort of over it :shock: Now, whenever I go out to the rats, I have to search the sheds first :rolleyes: I reckon I stepped over the one last night in the dark, judging by where he was headding when I turned and saw him. They would give a nasty bite if I accidently stepped on one (I would feel bad too)

Now it is cooling down, they need to eat before parking up for winter and they think my rattery is a snake version of a drive thru.... :rolleyes: and me being a softie, want to feed them and look after them.... :rolleyes:

I still havent released the one from last night yet, and I am worried this one may have damaged some scales. When I was hooking him out and he was trying to go between the shed and the cage, as I pulled him back and he hung on to absolutely everything, some of his scales were bending backwards like an open pine cone :shock: (I didn't continue pulling him backwards, I hooked his neck and finished getting him out head first) He seems to be pretty mobile in the tub, not bleeding or anything, doesn't seem upset.... never hissed, puffed up or struck at me. I cant believe how placid they are. As I said, I went to feed the rats when I found him. I just continued to feed them, he just sat there and watched the rats while I did so :lol: Then when he saw I wanted to apprehend him, he tried to go down between the shed and wooden cage (successfully)

Big Snake april 11 2012v 003.jpg Big Snake april 11 2012v 006.jpg Big Snake april 11 2012v 009.jpg

The 3rd pic shows him in the tub, the glass enclosure above/behind the tub has the bigger one from last night in it. If anyone in my area wants to come and help release them tomorrow, I would like to measure them and could use some help. PM me if you can help, I am at Landsborough

all my visitors are hatchies or yearlings.... love to have a larger visitor to test my nerves on! plus he wouldn't be able to get into the aviaries (I hope :shock:)

If I still lived on the sunny coast I'd definitely come help!

OMG u will have to start charging them! lol captainRatbags happy meals or should i say 'Ratty meals!' :lol:

Oh and i would come help but i struggle to get Gorgoo out of the vines in his enclosure and he is no bigger than a sausage lol so yeah....think i will pass :p

I would love to come help but I am in Maroochydore :( and unable to get to Lansborough this avo....I can get to Bli Bli or somewhere like that....least if you took them that far from your place they shouldn't return. I have heard that you need to take them upto 20k away for them to "not bother" returning to their original home...correct me if I am wrong people.

Let me know if you are going to be in this area CaptainRatBag :)

Now Captain, do you offer upsizes at your drive through? Healthy options hmmm? I can see your concern at just what you might step on at night..... I used to get some awesome visitors when I bred mice(they were on my veranda)my birds didnt think so though lol and used to shriek blue murder whenever they slithered up onto the micey cages. That was many years ago now though hopefully when I get settled I can start breeding some ratties and encourage some reptile visitors too :)

The word has gotten out now as one snake texts all the other freeloaders :

""MacRatBags - Open 24/7 Just slide through I know the owner he doesn't mind giving freebies""

Woops, I just put this update on the other thread by accident :oops:

Yea, now I always ask "you want fries with that?" hehehehehe

Thanks for the offers guys, but a herp mate from Landsborough came up to get some mice and we measured them both and released them. They were 2.35 and 2.85m with a tape measure, as they toddled off into the scrub. Michael said the other big 3+m one from last week might have been a Morelia amethystine (scrubbie) not a coastal?

What do you guys think? Notice how boofie his head looks compared to the last 2 coastals, and the really big pronounced heat glands on his top jaw? That would explain why he was well over 3m?

The first 2 pics are the big boy from last week, the 2nd 2 are the other 2 from the 9th & 10th. Can anyone tell by the head scales?

Snakes 1 april 0212 022.jpg Snakes 1 april 0212 020.jpg DSCN2820.jpg Snake april 10 2012b 017.jpg

Looks like a coastal to me, and they do get that big, rare but monster sized ones have been found before

Easiest way to tell a carpet from a scrubby if you are unsure is the head scales, scrubby's have much larger scales on the top of their head, they have special name but I can't remember it off the top of my head ;), although they may be called parietalia scales.

You can see them in this picture
File:High-Yellow Sorong Amethystine Scrub Python.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back