Shots of my hypo bearded dragon.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wowzers. Awesome stuff Brettix and Xcell.
Would love one of these!

Cheers, i cant wait to see how she turns outs a an adult. If its anything like her parents that brettix has ill be wrapped

View attachment 243108
Hi there, just wondering what makes a dragon hypo? I read in abbreviation that it means lack ofmelanine. This is my white x white from a Saz line? Is he considered hypo?

You're right about the lack of melanin.
I can't see your pic (on my phone) so I won't say anything about yours.
But one of the signs of a hypo beardy is clear nails. As hatchlings, their naills are clear and it's easy to see compared to their clutchmates. However they can get darker as they get older too.

Hypo is actually an abbreviation of the word hypomelanistic. This word implies a Bearded dragon with a diminished dark pigmentation. Hypo means less and melanistic means pigmented. Black pigments are produced, but not transported. This results into a lightly coloured appearance compared to a standard coloured Bearded dragon. Some standard animals are lightly coloured, but not a Hypo. They differ from true Hypo's, because they lack the heritable genetic disorder that is transferred through generations. The difference is found within the genotype and phenotype. The genotype (genes) of a Hypo is completely difference, while phenotype (the way they look like) can be almost identical.

Hope this helps, its copied from a site about some bd genetics

Oh and the best way to tell is hypos will have completely clear nails

Thanks for that guys, much clearer now. My white has coloured nails but i still love him:) purchasing any more beardies this season has been forbidden by my partner, but from what sort of pairing would a hypo be produced? Also what is the cost of one?

I must have one of these hypo dragons one day

To get a hypo you will need to breed 2 dragons with hypo in there genes. Either two het hypos. (carry the hypo gene but doesnt show it). Or hypo cross het. Hypo. Or hypo cross hypo. In the next few seasons there will be a whole heap of hets. For sale and the odd 100% Hypos.and soon enough i think we should have some different coloured hypos, which i cant wait to see.

Dunno if or what he has avaliable atm, but right now Brettix is your man for Hypos. Hes has some stunning dragons and is great with all the help you need

Cheers :)

7cb08e96-c83e-9179.jpg

Just another shot of Harley the hypo on the left with sparks my holdback from this year on the right. :)

Last edited:
Not the hypos yet. But the normal on the right was a hatchy from to of my lizards i breed

What gorgeous Beardies :)
I love your Hypo girl, hoping to get a beardie from Brettix one of these days :)
Anyway as johneven said, more pics please :)

3aa3afb8-cb39-9ee8.jpg
3aa3afb8-cb51-21e5.jpg
heres a couple others, but theses are a little old. Ill try get some new ones soon

Let me know if ya getting sick of this girl, but here's another updated pic of her.

Is that a trick question? Amazing little creatures you have there. Keep those photos coming! Can't wait to see some offspring in the future.

edit -I realize what was said was not a question.. But I am tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back