Woma having trouble shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bear_269

Reaction score
I have had a woma python for almost a year now and everything has been fine hes very healthy or has been until lattly he normally sheds in absolutly no problems but ive noticed the last two sheds he has had trouble and cant get it all off ive been told to spray alittle water on him to help but unsure if this is the best idea any sugestions?

I have a black headed python that frequently doesn't shed properly. Each time I put it in a large plastic container of warm water (enough water for it to get completely wet). In theory it should have no problem keeping its head above the water but I feel better if I provide a piece of brick for it to put its head on ( I know - I'm mad!). I let it soak for about an hour. The container is kept somewhere warm so the water doesn't become too cold. Then I wipe and "massage'" the snake with an old towel. If all the attached skin doesn't come off easily the snake is soaked for a little longer. It's important to gently rub the skin off rather than pulling it off.

Hope this helps bear_269.

Some people like to princess their snakes and you can actually buy a moisturizing spray which can help them shed. Each to their own but I reckon a nice luke warm bath for 3-5 minutes will help them!

i put my diamond on the shower screen while i have a hot shower the steam helps him get the last bits of dead skin off<BR>

My woma has a problem shedding one particular part just under her jaw since i have had her and after a nice warm soak it comes off easy, i have checked all her husbandry and was advised with these snakes its not recommended to spray/mist as with other breeds as they come from such a dry arid place it may cause more harm than good. Mine really seems to like the soak though too :)

Yeah mate, your best of putting him in a tub of Warm water. live in there for a while, if he dont like it put him in the shower... i find it works... it makes the skin soft and then once youve done that put him some where he can rub it off, like something like a branch or somthing like that, so it catches as he goes past it... or if all else fails, And yeah your not surposed to but i find sometimes its the only way, is to pull GENTLY the skin off him as hes moving forward!

hope this helps mate if you need any more help just ask..

My girl Woma has just shed. It took a long time from the beginning to the end. She went very patchy for about 4 weeks but nothing else, we bathed her twice, for about an hour each time, we also sprayed with special spray. I was getting really worried about her and was going to take her to the docs, but got up next morning and she had a full shed and was back to her beautiful self. She loves being out of her enclosure, she gets into everything and climbs all over the place and often find her following me aroung the house, or just coming up to say hello. They are the best snakes you could buy, Im hooked.

In my opinion, womas will only have a bad shed if they are dehydrated. You need to provide clean water every day for young animals and every 3-5 days for adults. They do not like to drink water that has been sitting around for more than a few hours. Do this and I can assure you the sheds will be fine.

sorry for the extreamly late reply yeah ill take some tonight

hahaha you can tell i just woke up im not taking them photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back