Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pthechemist

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking into getting my license in NSW. I had lizards in the UK and as some may have seen, I take care of our school Children's python.

Am i correct in thinking that I need to renew my license every 2 years? Is there a discount for renewals or is it just another full application?
I applaud the registering of carers/breeders and species but yet again, am amazed at the money making scam!

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil

The renewals cost the same amount as the initial application but if you do them online you save a small amount of money, also you can register for 2 or 5 years and I believe there is a small discount for 5 years.

The money making scam is annoying.

Ok, in that case I'll just have to stop being a typical Yorkshireman and release my purse strings every 2 years! lol

We have a Children's python at school which I care for but would be looking for something smaller. What are my options?

Thanks

In terms of pythons? Pygmy Python Antaresia perthensis is the only smaller python... (although I'm sure someone could endlessly debate morphometric variation of the other 3 Antaresia species)

Other than that there are plenty of other great reptiles.

Geckos- These are the bees knees of reptiles. :p They are awesome, not to big and require not to much room. :p

Dragons- There are small dragons but they are generally pretty active and take up heaps of room.

Legless Lizards- Are technically geckos but are similar to snakes in that they have no legs, pretty simple to look after some species, and are pretty cool...

I dunno, keep whatever you think you'll like?

I would recommend a Stimson Python if you want a smaller python. Some of the stimsons only grow to 90cm with the largest usually around that 110 mark. Excellent temperement.

They are easy to look after (i have never had trouble feeding both of mine) but as said above, each to their own, wht do you like the look of.

Check out the Broome, Wheatbelt and Windorah Stimons. Wheatbelts are the best looking I personally reckon but I am happy with my Windorahs :p

Ok, just applied for my license online and it gave me a license number there and then:

AKLZ******

I've read it can take 2 weeks to get it back, is this my license number and is it valid as of now?

Very excited if it is. All things slimey here I come to start the decision making process.

I used to have a breeding pair of leopard geckos in the uk and a beardie x rankin. I loved all of them BUT the crickets STANK!!!!!!!!!!

Is there any decent option to these if I go the lizard route again? Still love our Children's at school tho which I look after so might go that way if the wife doesn't freak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woodies are a perfectly acceptable substitute for crickets, and they're nowhere near as smelly :)

I've read it can take 2 weeks to get it back, is this my license number and is it valid as of now?

Yes. This system has been in place since early this year, AFAIK. I never received any paperwork in the mail, so keep that email in a safe place !

Still love our Children's at school tho which I look after so might go that way if the wife doesn't freak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am curious. How is the Childreni being kept on licence at school ? I mean, I recall you saying it belonged to a student who had lost interest, but have OEH been informed of these changes ?

Last edited:
School has the license to keep reptiles, I'm not in charge of it all but paperwork etc... was done before we got him/her.

Thanks guys, will make on decision on direction in the next few days.

P

School has the license to keep reptiles, I'm not in charge of it all but paperwork etc... was done before we got him/her.

I think its great your school has done that. A good way to get our kids interested in our native wildlife.

My school have yabbies, which are maintained by the lab assistant. When I mentioned the possibility of getting a snake as well he showed not even the slightest interest.

What region are you in, if you don't mind my asking ? We're SR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back