light cage help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythonlovers

Reaction score
hey everyone,
probs a stupid question but anyway, im building my own light cage, cause everywhere i look they only have really long ones.
so i wanna build my own so its smaller, but do they build them longer so the mesh doesnt get hot and burn the snake or do just just build them that way?
cause i wanna build mine so its only a few cm's from the light.
will that be two close and burn my snake or will that be fine?

They make them long as they don't know what bulb you use, yes they get hot but reptiles are not stupid and will not get burnt.

They are kinda stupid... well not really but they can get burnt. But you shouldn't have a problem with a shorter cage. :D I use gutter guard with the finest metal corner trimming I can get and some liquid nails. Works a treat, cheap, looks good too! :D

If they're not stupid and won't get burnt, then why do we use light cages?

Fact is they are stupid. Lucky the mesh of a light cage can never get the same sweltering temperatures as the bulb can ;)

They're usually longer cause they're a standard design (cheaper to mass production), trying to accommodate every possible bulb size available...

As it tends to get hotter from underneath, (wider area displaces more heat...

Dumb or not, I've seen snakes burn from light fittings.

I built mine for free, (w/ $10 for ceramic batten holder) as I thought the $55 for the kit was ridiculous!!
770c0bd5-d1bc-7704.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be careful of that sticky tape in the enclosure. If they ever happen to get it up it can cause some horrible damage to the scales.

Thanks for the tip.

It's an old photo.

I just temp hold cage to mark for holes/fixing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depending on if you're mounting the light bulb downwards or sideways to the ceiling... years ago I picked up a cheap $5 metal mesh veggie strainer from IKEA...works well if the bulb is mounted sideways.

They usually get burnt because they wrap around lights when they are off or have just turned off and are slightly warm.Once the light comes back on they heat up in seconds which results in burns.

Have you had a look at Petdens in Bayswater? Has a variety of light cages. I got the short circle ones which fit over my 60W globes fine. They are about $27

I still think a $5 veggie strainer beats a $27 light cage. Plus being dome shaped, no snake can wrap itself around it...

I still think a $5 veggie strainer beats a $27 light cage. Plus being dome shaped, no snake can wrap itself around it...

+1

...Petdens... Has a variety of light cages...They are about $27

That's for the xtra small one, the normal size is $52.

They're very pricey.
Even a simple ceramic holder & lead or an infrared lamp is double the price of what I've paid for exactly the same item!

I really liked the idea of the veggie strainer - TOP TIP!:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back