Housing Inland Carpet Pythons (murry darling) with a Darwin Carpet Python Please Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r_boy2251

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi i have a two year old Darwin Carpet Python would i be able to put him in with two 10 month old inland carpet pythons, i was just scared to try to put them in with him. Its a big cage 2 meter L, 2 feet W and 3 feet high.:)
Jordan

If your end goal is to reduce your collection to 1x Darwin Carpet Python, then I say go for it.....

Keepers who are much more experienced than yourself have done it, and it has ended badly.

Have a read through the threads and links below, and then decide whether you think it is worth the risk.
In my opinion, it is not.

http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Art...ogether_lr.pdf

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/antaresia-freaks-96327/page/68

gammons ranges carpets housed together ?

Could I put two Darwins in together? Your views.

housing snakes together and feeding separately..

Snake eats brother then dies.

housing multiple

raising a pair of snakes together?

Last edited:
If they were both the same age and roughly the same size, i would say go for it. I have housed a few pairs together and never had a problem based on that rule. HOWEVER, this does not sound like a good idea at all. I would just fork out the extra cash to buy the MD its own tank if it were me. That sort of age and size difference only spells trouble.

Not the best idea. snakes are not generally a communal species, why would you put 3 in one enclosure ? as shellfisch has pointed out, theres a chance you would wind up with a well fed Darwin and no Murray Darlings, If you dont have the cash for seperate enclosures you shouldn't have bought the Murray Darlings.

Thanks heeps guys for your help i will probably put a seperator in or something.

I hope you plan on having the appropriate heat gradient etc. in each section.

Sounds like you really didn't need to jump straight in and buy two more animals just yet...

Enclosure is not big enough for you to put a divider in and think everything is great. Each snake will need an enclosure at least the size of the one you already have, for itself once fully grown. By housing the snakes in the same enclosure, divider or not, is not in the snake's interest it is only in yours. If you can't give your snake basic requirements you shouldn't own one let alone two. Sorry for being rough but it's people like this who give herp keeping a bad name.

Last edited:
If your end goal is to reduce your collection to 1x Darwin Carpet Python, then I say go for it.....

Keepers who are much more experienced than yourself have done it, and it has ended badly.

Have a read through the threads and links below, and then decide whether you think it is worth the risk.
In my opinion, it is not.

http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Art...ogether_lr.pdf

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/antaresia-freaks-96327/page/68

gammons ranges carpets housed together ?

Could I put two Darwins in together? Your views.

housing snakes together and feeding separately..

Snake eats brother then dies.

housing multiple

raising a pair of snakes together?

+1^ although i think you missed about 10000 other threads that also say dont do it. :D lol. such alot of effort shellfisch.

2m is a massive enclosure for a 2 year old. thought about selling it and possibly building 2? maybe 1.2m and another at about 60cm. be easier to get temps right in completely separate enclosures

I wonder what happened to them in the end...
I plan to put a Jungle and MD of a similar age (7.5 - 8 months) in the same enclosure (60L x 60W x 40D)... But with a divider. Don't really want to risk losing one of them.

a good rule of thumb is : 1 species per cage if you want to house more than 1 individual together.

i keep my adult carpets in pairs, my spotted pythons in pairs and my olives in pairs, the only snakes i house seperately is my womas and hatchlings, but i would never keep 2 species together, dont want to risk losing 1 and i dont want to mix the species ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back