Cage Size Limiting Snake Size?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markannab

Reaction score
Hi
Just wondering if a smaller cage will limit or slow growth of a snake. My 5 foot carpet is currently in a 450mm cube tank. Later this month, we start building a 1500mm x 1000mm x 600mm tank, so she's going to be moved anyway. But I'd be very interested in opinions on this.
Thanks,
Mark.

look on utube etc at huge snakes living in small rack systems
given that information it probably will never inhibit growth
health though might be a very different story

Just be careful.. you dont want to end up with a square snake. As shown with these watermelons.
ps. watermelons need larger enclosures too!

Square_Watermelons.jpg

It does limit their size somewhat.

view_zpscb7c5877.jpeg

I dont think it would limit their growth (unless the enclosure is far too small) but not advised nor good for them. Good you are building something bigger;)

If you have to keep a python in a small enclosure (temporarily) prolly a good idea to let them have walkies quite regularly.... so they can stretch thier le...... body :lol:

If you have to keep a python in a small enclosure (temporarily) prolly a good idea to let them have walkies quite regularly.... so they can stretch thier le...... body :lol:
You take your snakey out for a walk and play every day hey ratbag!
;)

I am a big hater of rack systems, mainly for adult breeders. The only thing stopping me from buying tones of snakes, is because i believe the snakes need room to stretch out and be able to move. And I have stopped watching reptile room tours on YouTube as it seems to many people are able to keep snakes and lizards in tiny tubs.

I am a big hater of rack systems, mainly for adult breeders. The only thing stopping me from buying tones of snakes, is because i believe the snakes need room to stretch out and be able to move. And I have stopped watching reptile room tours on YouTube as it seems to many people are able to keep snakes and lizards in tiny tubs.

I don't use tubs other than for hatchies. But to play devils advocate, what is so bad about tubs. The anatomy of snakes is different to that of mammals. They dot need to stretch out like we do. There has been no cases of curved or kinked spines from the use of tubs. Has anyone seen anything on loss of muscle tone from tubs? Which would certainly be an issue with other types of animals in confined enclosures. I'm all for people being against cruelty to animals. But to date I have seen no evidence that tubs and rack systems are bad for the snakes.

agreed snowman. im on the fence with this one. have you seen the size of some tubs. vision rack tubs in there rack system get to 100cm by 75cm that is the same floor area as the average 4-5 foot viv. which i don't see as cruel at all for your average size breeder animals. as per usual its the keepers who are the ones putting them in there.
scrubbies and large olives i think are probably the only ones i wouldnt keep when they are full grown.
dont knock the tubs
knock the breeder who is using them incorrectly.

It mainly about freedom for the snake, and a snake that gets to move a lot more often would probably be a lot more muscular and healthy. Plus I have heard that snakes kept in a confined space get kinks or something on thier skin from being curled up and not stretching their whole life. If breeders keep thier snakes in big racks I'm all fine, it's just when they keep them in small racks to suit their own needs. But for me I will always be keeping my reptiles in enclosures that have plenty of space, so they can spread out. And be able to move freely if they want to, but each to their own.

If I ever get to the point where I am tempted to keep adult snakes in tubs I will get out of the hobby completely . If you have too many snakes to house them properly maybe you just have too many snakes . I have heard all the reasoning behind it and I'm sure you can hear the same from people with puppy mills and intensive livestock farms . ITS JUST WRONG OK :]

I don't think they is much enjoyment to be gained from keeping them in tubs. Ibfo like to watch mine and they are best observed in a vivarium. But I don't believe it's bad for them to be in tubs. I'm open to scientific evidence to show otherwise though. Crap like them getting kinks or skin problems is just stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

agreed snowman. im on the fence with this one. have you seen the size of some tubs. vision rack tubs in there rack system get to 100cm by 75cm that is the same floor area as the average 4-5 foot viv. which i don't see as cruel at all for your average size breeder animals. as per usual its the keepers who are the ones putting them in there.
scrubbies and large olives i think are probably the only ones i wouldnt keep when they are full grown.
dont knock the tubs
knock the breeder who is using them incorrectly.

exactly. I've seen tubs that are as big as enclosures. I think a lot of people struggle to understand that. Especially noobs. It all comes down to what kind of snake and size enclosure or tub required. And an understanding if the species is suitable for a tub. The tub snakebytes use for their carpets seemed adequate for the sub species being kept.

As a side note. I take my pythons out side most weekends for a bit of a stroll. They never really stretch out. Rather they find something to climb and curl up. Unless they are taking a dump. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

i'm with you hazordous, i dont understand the use of tubs when keeping snakes, except for keeping hatchies in so they feel safe, as for adult snakes of up to 8foot i cant understand it, yes if the tub is 100cmx75cm then that is of decent size for an average size snake, but in saying this i keep snakes because i love them, i love to watch them moving around climbing the branches and looking at their colours. why do people keep them in opaque tubs where you can not see them or enjoy looking at them, where they cant stretch out or climb branches, is it just so they can say how many snakes they have, i wouldnt want to live in a box the size of a toilet cubicle and i'm sure the snakes dont enjoy living in a small tub, i dont think that the arguement that it does no long term damage is a fair or valid one. nobody likes to see a puppy farm with dogs crammed in little shoe boxes pumping out puppies so why is it ok for some snake breeders????...........rant over let the tongue lashing from those that keep their reptiles like this begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back