What's a good first snake to get?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananapeel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have been deciding between either:
Spotted python
Stimsons Python
Woma python

Which of those or do you recommend something else.

Thanks

:)

Childrens pythons are a good first snake, They are dosile and hardy

All of those are good beginner snakes, it comes down to which one u prefer the look of. :)

All the above. Just my opinion, The stimmy is prettier than the childreni, and the woma is bigger than both those. So choice is yours. If you get a baby, your experience and confidence will grow with the snake. You will learn to know your snake and what annoys him off, and what makes him happy. So take your pick. Just keep in mind that the first two in your list only grow to about 4ft while the woma - actually I don't know how big woma's get, maybe 10ft like the black headed relo's.

All the above. Just my opinion, The stimmy is prettier than the childreni, and the woma is bigger than both those. So choice is yours. If you get a baby, your experience and confidence will grow with the snake. You will learn to know your snake and what annoys him off, and what makes him happy. So take your pick. Just keep in mind that the first two in your list only grow to about 4ft while the woma - actually I don't know how big woma's get, maybe 10ft like the black headed relo's.

WA woma will be around 4foot but the SA woma will get abit bigger.

Mate get a stimmie, a childrens python or a spotted. They are all great snakes. Just make sure that the parents are docile and that your particular snake is docile. If you are a beginner and get a snappy hatchy it may be a turn off for you.
Also be sure to make sure it is feeding and shedding regularly before you purchase it. :)
All the best !!!!!

I have been deciding between either:
Spotted python
Stimsons Python
Woma python

Which of those or do you recommend something else.

Thanks

:)

any of those will make a great first snake. People often recommend spotted and stimi's cause of their size. But my first snake was sw carpet python and it was a great first snake. Just get the one you like there's not much difference really as far as husbandry and handling. Ignore the conventional "get an anteresia for your first snake". I personally find them the most boring of all our Australian pythons, and glad I didn't get one as my first snake.

Personally although we have some of all mentioned I am not a big fan of spotteds as a first snake. Have yet to meet one that was not flighty and scared causing them to strike a lot as a youngster and have seen them put quite a few new to the hobby off...

I'd get a Murray Darling, but that's just me and I might be biased. I got my first snake last month, a 5 ft MD. :D

When I was researching my first snake, I looked at Stimmies, but wanted a larger one as an adult, hence the MD.

Maybe go and have a look/hold of all 3, see what they look like as adults, and then decide. Most hatchies are usually (at least) a little defensive because they are so small, everything is a threat.

And of course, good breeding comes into it, placid parents usually produce more of the same.

Doc Rock from SXR has written a good guide to help choose

http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article PDFs/road_testing_lr.pdf

Stimmie beautiful nature great introduction to the hobby but once you get used to everything that goes with having a snake you will want something bigger

my 3 yo daughter loves our little stimmie she sits with it around her neck or down her shirt

great snake and personality

Cathy

Get whatever you like best and suits you, chances are you'll be getting more anyway so you might end up with 1 of each anyway =p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back