Starmaid containers?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freakish13

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was wondering where is the cheapest place to get starmaid containers?
Im going ro breed mny Darwins and Spotteds next season and want to stock up and get things ready( i know it early but want stuff done so i dont need to stress when the time comes)
Also would 2 litre tubs be ok for Spotteds and 5 litre ok for Darwins?
Thanks in advance...

K-mart and safeway are where i found them the cheapest. Also some cheapy $2 dollar shops have some good small tubs

woolworths and coles usually have a 50% sale on them every 6 or so months.

I rang sisteema last week and Woolies/Safeway sale started Friday. 50% off. Yia boi! It's cheaper than what they could charge me from head office :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like previously mentioned, Woolies are great for sales. You can get cheaper tubs, I like the catches on the starmaid I had a cheaper tub and the catches were not as good as they should've been and I lost a hatchling out of it(Daughter didnt make sure the catch was properly clicked)

Most breeders I have met just use chinese containers for hatchies..... why buy quality containers at 4 times the price, just to poke holes in the lid? For new hatched, chinese are fine.... hopefully you would sell them to someone who will put them in a click clack or you could even sell them in a click clack of thier own?

Personally, I would skip size of the starmaid containers you mention, or get 10L tubs (to make into click clacks) so the snake can stay in it til you sell it.... the hatchies will grow out of 2L and 5L tubs very quickly.

just my own opinion ;)

Woolies/kmart/coles/big w, depending who has a sale on at the time.

e.g. woolies at present, with the Sistema tub 50% off... *runs to the local woolies and hoardes the sistema tubs*

I was going to build a hatchie rack out of melamine and heating with a heat cord or heat tape from the herp shop... so my question would be would chinese container heat without melting?

I've run my 6 snakes off heat cords with a thermostat, and had no issues with the sistema containers. If you think, a microwave safe plastic container can withstand at least 100'C (think of if you zap some water and it boils in the microwave). So if a microwave safe chinese container melted on a heat cord, I think you have a lot to worry about :)

yes, if you get a low watt heatcord and put a piece of glass between the container and the cord.... it should be fine. Another way of heating many small containers is to put the containers in a cupboard or old fridge (with vents in the sides/door) and a heatmat/cord in the cupboard.... this warms all of the containers.... however no gradient (if you can have a gradient in a chinese container?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back