Heating Advice for a Brisbane based herper...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpent_Gazeux

Reaction score
This summer will be my first as a python owner and I'm looking for any advice from Brisbane based keepers or anyone with experience in keeping pythons in warm climates to help me deal with the increase in ambient air temperature at the cool end and how to appropriately adjust my set up at the warm end. My enclosure is 90L x 45D x 55H and I'm currently running a 100w infrared heat lamp (advice from a store owner). My temps have gone from 22-24 degrees at the cool end to 27-28 degrees in the last week or so but my warm end has stayed around 31 degrees.

Is this enough of a gradient for over the summer?

If it isn't would it be beneficial to drop to a lower wattage lamp or would a heat mat or heat cord be better suited and should I install a fan at the cool end?

What set ups do other members use over the summer?

Thanks

for comparison i run a number of 900 x 600 x 600 enclosures. Using a 50W infrared bulb and elevated basking shelf, with a dimming thermostat. i get 31-33C basking temps, and ambient room temps on the cool side.

i setup a fan on the window into my snake room on a timer through the warmer part of the day to late afternoon to circulate the air in the room, and also have shade cloth blocking direct sun into the room (and creates a nice cool path way in front of the room which the fan sucks in cool air. also use air con through the hot days if temps in the house hit high 20's.

i use ventilation up high on the back wall on both sides, and one on the side of the cool end to keep the enclosure from becoming a hot box.

with the dimmer my heating is rarely on through the day, and only just on at night (i heat 24/7 through peak feeding times).

imo a 100W bulb is a severe overkill, even in winter, in brisbane.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply mate, Ill definitely take on board having a fan on a timer during the day.

What snake? Where is the enclosure?

Assuming you have simple home insulation (in YOUR house not the snakes) temps shouldnt ever get past the mid 30s(never has for me).

I dont use heat lamps anyway, too expensive! I use a heat mat, which you could also you use if you were really worried as its more contact based heat, not ambient. The snakes outside deal just fine with our 40+ days so i wouldnt worry about it.

I have a spotted python and the enclosure is just off a wall in my room that doesn't get any sun during the day and my house does have insulation. I was using a heat mat but I was talked into getting a 100w heat lamp because I was told it gives a better basking spot.

I understand that they survive in 40+ temps I was just concerned about the lack of gradient that might occur with a rise in the ambient room temp during the day.

If you know it's going to be a really hot day ( we get 38+ here in SA in summer) a good trick is to freeze a 1.25 litre plastic soft drink bottle full of water overnight and put it in your enclosure (cool end) just before leaving for work. Just be sure to wrap it in an old pillowcase or towel to prevent direct
contact.

I usually turn off heat all together through summer. On cooler days I may put it on or after a feed. I also have outdoor enclosures to keep some in during summer a d some stay outdoors all year

I'm out Ipswich way and it gets pretty warm over summer... I run basic heating for most of the year and when it starts getting really hot, I move my guys enclosure into the laundry or the bathroom, it's the coolest part of the house... It keeps the temps within 1-2 degrees within what's required for my coastal... Seems to work for me and my scaly friend...Hope this helps

I'm out Ipswich way and it gets pretty warm over summer... I run basic heating for most of the year and when it starts getting really hot, I move my guys enclosure into the laundry or the bathroom, it's the coolest part of the house... It keeps the temps within 1-2 degrees within what's required for my coastal... Seems to work for me and my scaly friend...Hope this helps

I usually turn off heat all together through summer. On cooler days I may put it on or after a feed. I also have outdoor enclosures to keep some in during summer a d some stay outdoors all year

Thanks guys.

And thanks for all the feed back in this thread, I really appreciate it.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back