Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelton22

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am currently looking into a new snake pet and im pretty excited. What im wondering is what snakes are avaliable in NSW that love to climb? I love the idea of a snake moving around branches and vines in an enclosure rather than sticking to the ground like the Stim's but all ive come up with is Jungle Carpet pythons.

I think they are a gorgeous snake but i have heard they can be somewhat feisty and cage protective even when carefully handled. Being my first snake i dont want to jump straight into the deep end. I would happily take one anyway and just leave him be but i would really love a snake comfortable to be handled.

Can anyone recommend a climbing snake that has a calm temperament?

Thanks.

edit: I know that as hatchlings all breeds may be nervous and nippy, and that a snake of any age or temperament can be easily surprised. I just mean long term and general personality. Thanks.

Last edited:
yuo could get a green tree snake they come in a variety of colours but its best to get one that feeds on rodents,Most carpets climb SOme (like the jungle/scrubby) climb more than others i hope this helps
oh murray darlings are awesome, so are coastals if ya not worried about size womas are awesome first snakes too but i have seen the odd spotted and stimi climb but not really perching up just cruisin around hope this helps

Any Morelia type will climb. But remember its not just species, but individual temperaments that can dictate a lot of behaviour.

I recommend Bredli if you want to go a carpet snake.
However the choice is up to you mate, if you love Jungles, get a hatchy, be prepared to get a couple of bites but it will calm down with handling.
Coastal's are good snakes as well, tree snakes are great but if you are mainly wanting something to hold, I would not recommend tree snakes.

I recommend Bredli if you want to go a carpet snake.
However the choice is up to you mate, if you love Jungles, get a hatchy, be prepared to get a couple of bites but it will calm down with handling.
Coastal's are good snakes as well, tree snakes are great but if you are mainly wanting something to hold, I would not recommend tree snakes.

tree snake get heaps tame if you handle them when young mines a dream just chills on ya shoulder, but its up to tthe op

I wouldn't recommend a tree snake for a first time keeper.

Stick with any of the Morelia type and you should be OK. As its been said already, the attitude of the snake dictates what its behaviour will be.

I wouldn't recommend a tree snake for a first time keeper.

Stick with any of the Morelia type and you should be OK. As its been said already, the attitude of the snake dictates what its behaviour will be.

Agreed!
Any Australian colubrid is not a starter snake.

if you do your research properly and know husbandry then its fine :0 nothing hard about them...i

Alright thanks guys, heaps of info from this! I think ill be getting 2 baby Jungle Carpet Pythons and just prey they arent to difficult!

Darwin carpets are a lovely "climbing" python.
Climbing ~ arboreal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back