Preparing for a baby bearded dragon. Need Advice please :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sezzzzzzzzz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! I need some clear advice as i have got some mixed advice on setting up my baby beardie's (well, he/she will be Tilly's when Santa drops it off) enclosure and i am getting very confused. :D

so here's my questions:

1. I was under the impression that beardies need 32-35 basking spot, but have been told that the AMBIENT temp in the enclosure should be in the 30's? Which is correct? or am i totally wrong?

i am getting temps of 29.5 about 10cm under the heat lamp, using a 50w red bulb.

2. I am using reptile sand for the substrate, should this be dampened to harden it a little or should it be left loose? (i will be feeding in a separate container)

3. Should they have a water bowl or do i just mist them every couple of days? (more advice from the person who confused me totally!!!)

4. Do hatchling beardies require 24/7 heating?

5. what percentage uv do i need? i have a 2% here, and i was told that would be fine, but i thought they required 10% bulbs?

i think that's all for now, lol.

some pics of our very basic enclosure to start of with. We will upgrade as soon as i find the perfect enclosure. y husband isnt very happy cos i paid $25 for a "stick", then walked into the aquarium next door and found awesome driftwood for $4 each... ooops. anyway i love my stick...

PC080399.jpg

PC080400.jpg

PC080402.jpg

PC080401.jpg

PC080403.jpg

Last edited:
i have a pygmy and his basking temp is at 35-38 and on the other side its about 28-29 with a 5% uv bulb, and with water you can have a waterbowl but they seem to make a mess of it i just usually mist the enclosure a little bit everyday,
lol 25 for a stick....

hey everyone! I need some clear advice as i have got some mixed advice on setting up my baby beardie's (well, he/she will be Tilly's when Santa drops it off) enclosure and i am getting very confused. :D

so here's my questions:

1. I was under the impression that beardies need 32-35 basking spot, but have been told that the AMBIENT temp in the enclosure should be in the 30's? Which is correct? or am i totally wrong?

Around 35deg at the basking spot will be fine. A little either way won't hurt. Depending on size of enclosure, ambient air temps will probably be around high 20's to low 30's anyway.

i am getting temps of 29.5 about 10cm under the heat lamp, using a 50w red bulb.

Try a 60w. Ditch the red bulb and use white to help simulate more natural lighting conditions. Beardies are very visually reliant critters.

2. I am using reptile sand for the substrate, should this be dampened to harden it a little or should it be left loose? (i will be feeding in a separate container)

Either way. Doesn't really matter, they spend endless time digging in it anyway.

3. Should they have a water bowl or do i just mist them every couple of days? (more advice from the person who confused me totally!!!)

Some will drink from a bowl, some won't. Try it to begin with, but it doesn't need to be in there every day. A couple of times a week will be plenty. I do like to give them a light mist occasionally when young though, just to be sure they're getting some hydration. Their requirements for water really are minimal though.

4. Do hatchling beardies require 24/7 heating?

No.

5. what percentage uv do i need? i have a 2% here, and i was told that would be fine, but i thought they required 10% bulbs?

10% it is.

i think that's all for now, lol.

some pics of our very basic enclosure to start of with. We will upgrade as soon as i find the perfect enclosure. My husband isnt very happy cos i paid $25 for a "stick", then walked into the aquarium next door and found awesome driftwood for $4 each... ooops. anyway i love my stick...

Answers in red. :)

get the basking spot to 40+ i use 40w spotlight bulbs, the tight focus beam, from bunnings only about $5 for 2. the rest of the enclosure can be ambient, the dragon will regulate it's temp. you dont want the ambient temps too high tho as they wont be able to cool down, anywhere from 20-30 outside of the basking spot is fine.

sand is fine, i feed mine in the enclosure

water bowl is fine, or misting them is fine, or stick em in a bath once a week. i like to keep water bowls just in case it gets too hot they will jump in to cool down

i have uv 12hrs on 12 off, and heat for about 8 hrs a day. hatchies only need the 24/7 heat for the 1st few days after hatching, after that all mine go on to this cycle

i use 5% uv , most will argue you need 10%. mine get lots of outdoor sun tho. 2% is not good

i have a pygmy and his basking temp is at 35-38 and on the other side its about 28-29 with a 5% uv bulb, and with water you can have a waterbowl but they seem to make a mess of it i just usually mist the enclosure a little bit everyday,
lol 25 for a stick....

please see pics of my stick! its a fancy stick!!!! it can go 5 different ways and still look good!!!

Answers in red. :)

thanks so much Wally! the pics of the enclosure are up now, its about 2ftx1ftx1ft. only small, but also only temnporary.

get the basking spot to 40+ i use 40w spotlight bulbs, the tight focus beam, from bunnings only about $5 for 2. the rest of the enclosure can be ambient, the dragon will regulate it's temp. you dont want the ambient temps too high tho as they wont be able to cool down, anywhere from 20-30 outside of the basking spot is fine.

sand is fine, i feed mine in the enclosure

water bowl is fine, or misting them is fine, or stick em in a bath once a week. i like to keep water bowls just in case it gets too hot they will jump in to cool down

i have uv 12hrs on 12 off, and heat for about 8 hrs a day. hatchies only need the 24/7 heat for the 1st few days after hatching, after that all mine go on to this cycle

i use 5% uv , most will argue you need 10%. mine get lots of outdoor sun tho. 2% is not good

Thanks Maddog! i usually use the spotlights in the snake tanks but because i was told they required 24/7 heat i figured theyd need the day night cycle.

ill go with a 10% because i dont think ill be game to take the lil fella outside until hes much bigger!!

The only other question i have is would it be okay to fit some fly screen under the lid (last pic above) as i am concerned that mr beardie might be able to escape?

thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back