White powder on Pythons head

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joeplant57

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a three year old Coastal Python I have had him for well over a year but in the last couple of days he has got a white powder on his head..he is still eating and going about his business as usual..can anyone tell me the cause and the remedy..much appreciated..

Could be mite eggs, check the snakes over for mites. If its been laying in it's water bowl more than normal and you see little black insects around to enclosure, your got mites.

Spent a little too much time in the red light district...

But seriously, have you inspected his enclosure for anything white he could have rubbed himself on, urates maybe..?

i was going to say dandruff... head and shoulders works a treat. but in all honesty could be mites...

He has not spent any more time in his water, could he get mites even though he has never been anywhere near any other snakes?? Will check him out Tomorrow all the same.. Cheers

Have you got a photo? my guess would be urates. maybe try a damp cloth??

I will take a pic in the morning and post it..when I notice this powder I sprayed water mist in to his enclosure and strangely enough it looked better but the day after it was back again..bugger me its puzzling lol..

He has not spent any more time in his water, could he get mites even though he has never been anywhere near any other snakes?? Will check him out Tomorrow all the same.. Cheers

Yes. My gtp is a loner and doesn't have friends and mites made it into its clickclack. easy fix though. Just be sure of what you use and how much

It definitely sounds like freshly hatched mites. The white dandruff is the egg castings.

What substrate you using? , also does your snake dip its head in its water bowl , I've noticed since they really started lacing our water with fluoride more ,that the water dries on the snakes and leaves a white power some times more noticeable on darker snakes

What substrate you using? , also does your snake dip its head in its water bowl , I've noticed since they really started lacing our water with fluoride more ,that the water dries on the snakes and leaves a white power some times more noticeable on darker snakes

Flouride in drinking water doesn't leave a white residue.

Hahahahaha Thats amusing...shame I didn't see this thread earlier...could have saved all the trouble. Often poo that they rub against LOL :)

[QUOTE Hahahahaha Thats amusing...shame I didn't see this thread earlier...could have saved all the trouble. Often poo that they rub against LOL :)[/QUOTE]
That's why I never said anything did not want to look a fool lol..but hey there's a lesson in it somewhere don't yers think lol. Cheers Guys..

one of mine loves to hide a dookie in her cave.. always does it then sits on her perch like guess what i left for you... lol

At least if someone happens to have the same question they now have a possible answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back