Would you sell....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you people even thinking about what you are saying? It just sounds ridiculous to me. i could say the same to you

You wouldnt sell reptiles on the slim chance they could be seized and destroyed (whilst not even in your posession anymore)yes i wouldnt, it would worry me that an animal i either bred or cared for for some time , might possibly be destroyed because of the others wrong doing , dont say theyve never been destroyed over this issue before or to someone that "might" possibly not care for them? (based on the fact someone keeps exotics- cos that is a definite sign of poor husbandry :S). i never once mentioned husbandry , to me the keeping of exotics does nothing to prove wheather or not you are a capable keeper

So with all this information, knowing you care sooo much about every hatchling you have ever bred, Im assuming you would then make weekly phone calls enquiring as to the condition on all the animals you have bred? Like I said: ridiculous.ive never bred before , but i can only imagine what some breeders go through to try to sort the idiots from the good keepers , i have talked to people about it before , when i do breed , i will most likely be holding most of the hatchies back for the first year to watch them grow and decide on hold backs etc , then pass some on hopefully to people on here that are obviously keen herpers and not people on a fad although as i said , i can only imagine how hard that would be

Once money has been exchanged, in a legal way, end of story on the sellers side. Its common sense what youve never been offered after sales advice or given people updates on their animals ? i feel sorry for you .
i think i pretty much summed up most of my points , no reason to continue this really unless you come back with some great , jaw dropping rebuttal ;) at the end of the day , some people look at reptiles as an object , other see them as a living animal ,

i dont want to come across as a tree huggin hippie that thinks his snakes love him to bits because im not , i just wouldnt like the idea of my reptiles possiby being confiscated and destroyed because i sold them to someone i knew had exotics and was obvioulsy not very smart about it for me to find out , only a matter of time until the authoriteies do

Oh ok I get where you are coming from in a way it would be I guess but I'm not convinced that it would make it harder and then you have to think about how they would get busted the department have proved its self numerous times not to do anything about situations...
Yeah I have heard that too but look at where im coming from in that an old mate had ALL snakes confiscated and licence removed when he was caught with a few wild caught and ones that werent transeferred on licences. A few went up in the deccw ballot the rest were returned to previous owner. Wouldnt that type of breach and exotics theoretically make it harder, possibly more for new keepers

Yeah I have heard that too but look at where im coming from in that an old mate had ALL snakes confiscated and licence removed when he was caught with a few wild caught and ones that werent transeferred on licences. A few went up in the deccw ballot the rest were returned to previous owner. Wouldnt that type of breach and exotics theoretically make it harder, possibly more for new keepers

Yup I see what you're saying now makes sense.... sort of

Last edited:
I wouldn't base my opinions on what someone keeps, but who they are, what they are like and how good their husbandry skills are. I wouldn't be surprised if their knowledge and skills were above 80% of people on this site.

To all the do gooders I would also keep you snouts out of other peoples
Business, put that energy into your own life.

Did you think about dobbing in this bloke too??

But people like that are the ones that make our hobby harder to keep our own animals let alone new keepers

No they don't, what they do doesn't affect our keeping of natives at all. People spending too much time worrying about what others are doing and dobbing on them are what makes this hobby pretty crappy.

A lot of interesting answers!

Most people don't go to people's houses to do the trade so how would you know on there husbandry?

I'm on the fence about this one! And thinking If they have a license then you in some way are doing the rite thing! But by knowing they have exotics makes me question the situation!

i know most people who have exotics tend to just give out random license details any way which are completely made up which I'm hesitant about! But how would I know?

Do what ever is best for u......enough said in this thread

Here is the plan:
(1) sell to him
(2) dob him in
(3) wait outside his house for npw service to turn up.
(4) show them your license & let them know you would be happy to take the natives
(5) take possession of your new snakes
(6) run home really really fast giggling all the way

Dobbers are the lowest of the low.

Nah, people who are so arrogant that they think the laws don't apply to them are lower. They drag the hobby down for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Personally, it depends on why they keep the animals they do, regardless of whether they're native, exotic, scaled, furred, feathered etc. If they're one of those people who keep a type of animal purely for egotistical reasons ("this boa is sure to make me look super-cool, and will look bad-as alongside my pitbull") I wouldn't sell them one of my snakes poops, let alone one of my pets. If however they keep exotics because they are passionate about whatever species they are keeping and are fed up with beurocratic nonsense, then I would consider it. I believe those who are so passionate about their animals they are willing to break the law to keep them are not likely to put themselves or their collections in jeopardy.
That said, if I was selling to one of those people, I doubt I'd ever find out if they had exotics :p
Those who flaunt their exotics so vocally tend to be the ones who keep them purely as an extension of their ego, and I would never encourage people like that to own animals by selling them mine.

Last edited:

depends what they dob someone in for. i dobbed someone in who keeps exotics and natives off licence. not for keeping exotics or natives off licence but for poaching natives, keeping reptiles with no heat source. keeping reptiles with ticks on them and letting reptiles including exotics escape mulitple times, also killing a gecko by washing dishes with hot water while the gecko was in the sink.

this bloke does not know how to own and properly care for anything, let alone another living creature.

so am i low for doing it?

depends what they dob someone in for. i dobbed someone in who keeps exotics and natives off licence. not for keeping exotics or natives off licence but for poaching natives, keeping reptiles with no heat source. keeping reptiles with ticks on them and letting reptiles including exotics escape mulitple times, also killing a gecko by washing dishes with hot water while the gecko was in the sink.

this bloke does not know how to own and properly care for anything, let alone another living creature.

so am i low for doing it?

I wouldn't call what you did 'dobbing' - to me dobbing is getting yourself into something that doesn't involve or effect you e.g. someone keeping exotics behind closed doors in good conditions and keeping to themselves is not hurting you or the hobby. The welfare of those animals you mentioned was a concern to you so you did something about it, that's different to me.

I keep exotics. I own an Indian Ring Neck Parakeet, silky chickens, I breed Japanese Quail by the bucket load, plenty of exotic fish, I used to have Jack Russel Terriers and hell, I'm only second generation Australian myself! Come to think of it, the only native species I keep are my reptiles. This is a stupid argument.

I might only be new to the forum but i am not new to the hobby and i totally agree with what thomasssss and MyMitchie have to say on the subject i.e
Quote Originally Posted by MyMitchie: I wouldn't risk the safety of the animal incase he got caught in future and had them confiscated. Quote Originally Posted by thomasssss: this would be my worry also , when you think about it if his busted and his got exotics theres a good chance they may euthanise any natives he has due to risk of a disease and it being to much hassle to have them quarantined , i may be paranoid here and they may very well just be passed on , but i wouldnt want reps that i had bred or cared for ending up dying due to that
if you knew he kept exotics and had put all the time effort and money into breeding the snakes wouldn't your conscience bother you with the thought that if he was caught all his natives would be euthanized as well, coz there is no way DEC would be able to keep them in quarantine and they sure wouldn't put them in the ballot just my 20 cents anyway.......................................................Ron

No pedos, rapists and scum who intimidate others to get what they want are lowest of the low. Then come people who should mind their own business. Oh I forgot clowns and jugglers.
To answer the Op's question. No, you shouldn't sell to that person because you dont agree with their life choices and it offends you. Right or wrong thats your mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back