how big does an olive pythons cage need to be?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
having a cat and small dogs it wouldn't be able to roam much it would be in the cage the whole time except the odd handling and feeding how big would that how to be?

Ben this is a very big snake we are talking about, I wouldn't consider doing the odd handling when you're dealing with a 12 ft snake are you going to want an extremely defensive and tempemental snake or one that knows you aren't a predator?
its a big responsibility, think about it.

would love to get one but not sure I have the room?

DSC06762.jpg

This one used to have her own bedroom .She is nowhere fully grown yet but as you can see she is a biggish snake .My daughter is on the right and she has no problems with her but when it comes to food only a fool would get between an Olive and their food .Trust me been there done that and you learn by your mistakes

Last edited:
i dont have an olive but i have xtra large coastals at 12 foot plus and they have outdoors enclosures 1.5w x 2.5L x2.5H for summer but come inside during brumation -2mLx 1mW x1mH as i can control the day temps better and easier to watch breeding activity.... 3am at winter in S.A. you dont want to be going outside, trust me.

Pretty nice snake as far as temperament goes but you wouldn't want to get in the way of feeding time. A food response bite from one of them would hurt a bit.

Yes, they do! I copped one from Norman yesterday, but he's still just a baby, I think he's about a year and a half, around 1.5ish metres. I was real proud of him though, he struck and coiled, but I didn't even have time to walk over to the tap with him before he let go, all on his own! He's FINALLY learning that I'm not food :D

Oooh Ouch. haha. Guess that's goo though that you're copping bites when he's young and he's growing out of it. Wouldn't want a 3m+ snake tagging you at feed time! Very lucky to own an olive! Wish I could :( haha

You have to get their attention softly or they can be aggro to start with, I initiate contact with a couple of gentle strokes with the snake hook, warmed of course, once she is awake and realizes its just me she is as gentle as a pussy cat, startle her or be a bit rough to start with and she tries to kill everything for about 30 mins. We recently relocated her to a new spot and she hated everyone for 3 days but then back to her placid ways

Well the latest scales and tails magazine has an article on breeding olives. The author keeps his successfully in 1800mm x 595mm x 400. Which makes me think some of the minimum suggestions on this thread are way over the top.
Give your snakes as much room as you can I say.... But obviously the minimums are smaller than people would have you believe.

Well the latest scales and tails magazine has an article on breeding olives. The author keeps his successfully in 1800mm x 595mm x 400. Which makes me think some of the minimum suggestions on this thread are way over the top.
Give your snakes as much room as you can I say.... But obviously the minimums are smaller than ​some people would have you believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back