New addition , a "children's" python.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob8290

Got the newest addition to the family today, a "children's" python. Quiet a angering story actually, so here it goes. Today I took delivery of a so called children's python for my girlfriend ( her first snake) and she was rather excited but unfortunately couldn't be here for it due to having uni, which was probably for the best because she would've freaked out seeing the poor thing the way it was . It came with and enclosure and hide.. The "enclosure" was a home made melamine 2ft enclosure that was falling apart (it was supposed to be 3ft), it was a sad sight to see his substrate was red garden dirt straight from the garden that looked as if it hadn't been changed for months and mixed with his own build up of waste from god knows how long ago. The bottom of the enclosure was litterly rotting away so bad i poked a hole through it with my finger. So i got him out (bit me with an instant food response) removed and replaced the bottom cleaned it as best I could and placed a proper hide in there for him aswell as a heat mat under a tile, he loved it so I don't think he's ever had heating before. I also bathed him in warm water and put a water bowel in there and he drank a tremendous amount so I don't believe he has had water in some time. So tomorrow will be like heaven for him because he is getting a brand new 4 ft viv with nice and clean substrate , a feed and a good old fashioned vet check up. All the pictures I received prior to the purchase were not of him or his enclosure. I didn't have the heart to tell them I wouldn't buy it and leave him like that. Oh and the best part? He's actually a spotted . Supposed to be 4 years old but god knows if that's true. Anyway I guess what I'm trying to say is guys, make sure you know what you're buying and don't make my mistake. Anyway care to share any similar experiences ?

Going through any change can be stressful for an animal. The process of moving an animal itself is a very large event (new smells, sights, keeper, routine etc). Whilst what you have proposed may benefit the animal you may like to think about spreading out some of the changes over a period of time by prioritizing the most important steps. This will allow the animal to go through a settling in period and reduce the likelihood of stress related factors impacting on the animal.

Leaving the animal alone to acclimatize to its new surroundings before exposing it to new events that may cause stress will benefit the animal.

After I provide it with a new enclosure i plan to leave it alone for a good week then offer it a feed . Then Leave it for another 2-4 weeks then visit the vet.. Believe me when I say it needed OUT of that enclosure. I should have gotten pictures but pictures were the last thing on my mind after seeing the state of it. It is something I cannot describe. I also do not believe it has been receiving the right feeding size. I couldn't tell you weight and length at this time only aparant age, 3-4 years old and on weaner rats. But I am no expert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back