Concerned, 1st time Snake Owner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captsporadic

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Blonde Spotted Python on Wednesday last week. Currently 3 months old.

After setting up her terrarium and giving her a day to settle in, she let me pick her up with no problems.

On Monday, which was the day the pet store designated to feed her, I moved her to her seperate enclosure to feed, left her for for about an hour, then moved her back to digest.

I decided to leave her until thursday to make sure her first meal in her new home was all digested.
However, when attempted to pick her up, she would constantly curl herself up, then move to another corner and curl up again, eventually biting me so I left her be.

I'm worried she may be stressed in her new enviroment, or that its too cold for her. I have a thermometer in the tank and it seems to be at anywhere from 27-29 degrees celcius. Or could it just be that she maybe was asleep or I caught her in a bad mood.

Is there anything I could do to help the situation. I already have a heating rock inside the terrairum (although it feels only a bit warm to the touch) and some forums recommend cotton gloves until they get a bit older.

Thank you in advance for any help

set the thermostat to 32 on the warm end, spotties are pretty tough and 27-29 isn't a "dangerous" temperature, in fact breeders often take their males down to 20 or lower(that is ambient temperature but the basking spot is still at ~35 for a few hours a day) to prepare them for the breeding season ideally a temperature gradient from 25 to 32 should exist in the tank and there should a basking site at ~ 35 for a few hours per day. generally your snake curling up can be an indication of your snake being cold, hope this sort of helps

Thank you very much.
At the moment, the heating rock is self regulating, so I would like to shop around for a heating mat or something that allows me to change the temperature, as I have an airconditioner in the same room and I am worried it will affect the snakes temperature when I start using it again.

Someone suggested removing the heating rock and the internal thermometer and using a heating mat with a thermoregulator, would this be the best way to go?

Yea scrap the heating rock cut off the cord and use it as a visual feature.....heat rocks no good!

Heat rocks are potentially dangerous (they have a reputation for overheating) get yourself a heat mat or make a heat tile using a heat cord and buy a thermostat. If your not sure how to make a heat tile have a search through the DIY threads on here.

I shall search for a heating mat that allows me to change the temp.

Being in townsville, I'm having a hard time finding a place to buy them.
The pet stores I do go to all have the standard self regulating onces

If you can't find any locally, order online from one of the sponsors of this site. Reptiles are tough, so it is not a disaster if you have to wait a week. Herpshop has always been great for me. They also give good advice if you are unsure of which product fits your situation.

I shall search for a heating mat that allows me to change the temp.

Being in townsville, I'm having a hard time finding a place to buy them.
The pet stores I do go to all have the standard self regulating onces
standard heat may is fine but u need to use a thermostat and place probe on mat.... This will allow u to keep 32/33 heat spot for digestion... U prob need no other heating as of where u live... Just place hide at cold end and one over the meat mat... Place a tile over mat tho

I would also recommend joining a local Herp Club, or seeking somebody nearby who has some experience who may be prepared to help you along as a bit of a mentor. There may even be someone from this site nearby who would help you along. Pet shops are known for advising based on their limited knowledge and what makes $$ for them and unfortunately many people coming into the hobby find this out the hard way.

I was lucky in that my first snake was from a local breeder on this site who has been fantastic with supporting me and helping me along - not only with the snake I got from him, but with subsequent snakes that have since joined my collection. I would have been lost without his advice and experience, and more importantly, his willingness to help.

This support is invaluable in my experience - it has been worth a lot more to me than the price I paid for the snake in the first instance.

I'm curious as to why youre only source of heat is a heat rock? They are potentialy dangerous and they don't really heat the bottom of the enclosure so if your spotted isn't using it that would most probably be why he is always curling up into a ball.

It was what was provided to me when purchasing the terrarium and equipment. I have now removed it from the habitat

Seen as everyone has covered the heating issue, i'll comment on the behaviour.

What you have described just sounds like normal snake behaviour to me, they don't WANT to be held they only TOLERATE it. So curling up, retreating and trying to curl up again then biting are all natural reactions. These are all cues you need to take note of, they are all saying "LEAVE ME ALONE!".

It is usually suggested in the first two weeks to handle as little as possible and to let the snake settle in.

Yes have to agree, leave alone for a while and let them settle in..... you will have to learn the hard way. know how to read your snake moods. Like i did. But thanks to the great advise on this site i have been much easier going with my snake....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back