Freshwater crocodile is dead

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kodi08

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I got a freshwater crocodile hatchling on the 19-3-13 on the 30-3-13 he died I can't understand why can anyone help me

my water was 7ph with a temperature was 26°c but ceramic would heat it as well as the heater so it was really around 28°c

the dock was 29°c with uvb light and ceramic light to keep a stable temp
I feed it on dusted crickets and tried putting pinkys in the tank but he wasnt intrestes

tank was 2.5ft × 20 inch × 20 inch*
I didnt handle him much as I didn't want to stress him out I wanted him to settle in to the new environment before handling him

I think it was stress from shipping but I dont know

Thanks

I contacted the seller and was told it temp which I am 100% that thats not it and I asked if I could pay another one off and was basically told to come back when I have money im really not happy with the service I got and I dont want to spend hundreds more on a animal for my son and myself when I have 2 other kids that need things its not far on them expecially after I just paid for one that lasted 11days and is now dead its not like im new at keeping reptiles and it was a novice mistake iv had them most of my life and worked in pet stores where I looked after around 200 but this is the first time iv felt like giving it away

Last edited:
First off its always hard to loose any animal ,,, and here in NSW we are all very Jelious of you being able to keep croc's ... I understand being angry , and even know you have done everything to your power to provide correct housing to the best of ability ... I have come to realise that not every animal will survive , but I don't see why any breeder is responsible for replacing or compensating ...

Who wants it to be replaced or compensation I want to know what happened no1 said any thing about getting compensation

I contacted the seller and was told it temp which I am 100% that thats not it and I asked if I could pay another one off and was basically told to come back when I have money im really not happy with the service I got and I dont want to spend hundreds more on a animal for my son and myself when I have 2 other kids that need things its not far on them expecially after I just paid for one that lasted 11days and is now dead its not like im new at keeping reptiles and it was a novice mistake iv had them most of my life and worked in pet stores where I looked after around 200 but this is the first time iv felt like giving it away

Don't buy anything then.

Who knows why your croc died. An internet forum isn't going to give you those sorts of answers.

This isn't the topic anyway can anyone see what could have made this happen apart from stress

Ps I will not name seller

From what I have read , from your posts you stated the breeder said the temps had something to do with the death ..... But you didn't think it was that . I would be listing to the one who breed the animal

Did the breeder say the temps where to hot or cold?

The temps you listed deffiantly don't seem harsh enough to kill most reptiles in a space of 11 days.

The temp they said they were keeping them at around 28 to 30
Which is what the mine sat around 27 to 28 with a heater set 26 for backup so that if the thermostate packed it in the water wouldn't drop below 24 to 26

Last edited:
Don't buy anything then.

Who knows why your croc died. An internet forum isn't going to give you those sorts of answers.

What's the point of a forums if you cant talk about the thing that the forums about ????????
No one knows everything so thats why ppl ask questions
And I wanted to see if any one has a better idea of what could have happened or is that not allowed

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

A one or two degree change in temperature wouldn't kill an animal, it would take very long periods of constant cold weather for anything like that.

1-2 degrees less over 11 days isn't an issue.

An option you could choose would be to get an autopsy on the animal, at least then you will know if there's any hidden issues the breeder didn't let you know about.

Thank you scorp I didnt think it could but I needed other options from ppl that know more about them then myself thanks again

What exactly did it eat in the 10 days that you had it?

I don't think the temps you mention would kill a freshie, they're skittish but tough. I assume he had an adequate hide and enough water for a swim? Personally I would be feeding one goldfish or similar. I know the hatchies eat a lot of insects but it's not their primary food. Is there any chance he was exposed to chemicals? (aerosols/ paints/de-odorisers/ etc)? I feel your loss, it's always grim losing an animal.

I had 30 cherry shrimp in his tank I tried to feed him pinkys and crickets there was no intrestes in them to the point where I hand feed him yeah he had spots to hide and and no chemicals are sprayed in the house as I have shrimp and fry that would be wiped out from them really fast

That would suck heaps especially when there over $500 and to have it only live 11 days you must be cut :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back