Pet or Just a pretty Carpet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Calm behaviour in a snake is not necessarily indicative of a escaped captive. Wild snakes can also be calm.

As part of my Pest control business on the Mid North Coast of NSW I do a lot of "snake relocations" non venemous only, and all the ccps I remove are very striking in their patterns and shades of colours. 90% of them are so calm I can just pick them up, place them for a photo opp and just slide them on into a bag for removal. I have yet to be tagged. This is an example, this one was at our front door one morning as the previous day I had left the rodent defrosting container on the front patio.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 83
very pretty! I will pm u my address and u can drop him back 2 me later :lol:

That makes me feel a lot better about the snake i found being wild. It was just odd to me that in the 13-14yrs i have lived in the same street i had never seen a snake just appear on the road, although i only live 100 meters from bushland so it is of course feasible that they are there and i haven't seen them. Maybe he/she was just out looking for somewhere to shack up for winter. Preferably not with my guinea pigs though. It was crossing the road near a house with an extremely thick garden so it may have been there for some time. Best i move it to the bush down the road away from cats, dogs, shovels and cars though. I don't think everyone around me has the same opinion of snakes i do, especially considering the looks i get when i have my 3 out.

I'm a bit concerned that people on this thread have gotten themselves caught up discussing and debating morphs and mutations when the real question all along was, is the snake wild or a pet. This particular snake looks nothing like a typical coastal, or have we all forgotten what they look like; If I found a blue budgie I'd just as likely suspect it was an escapee. My two cents

I'm a bit concerned that people on this thread have gotten themselves caught up discussing and debating morphs and mutations when the real question all along was, is the snake wild or a pet. This particular snake looks nothing like a typical coastal, or have we all forgotten what they look like; If I found a blue budgie I'd just as likely suspect it was an escapee. My two cents
If it's found in the wild and naturally occurs in the area, I think you should be able to put 2 and 2 together.

It's bright orange...it's pattern is reduced...come on! A wild snake that looks that way is most likely eaten before it gets to that size, and I wouldn't say that the road is a particularly 'wild' place.

This thread certainly went in a different direction to what i intended, maybe i should have worded it a bit differently.
That makes two of us. What a joke, any chance to puff your chest out around here will see the masses running to do so. Snake people aren't bogans, there a bunch of superior keyboard warriors. Sad to see a great site deteriorate so quickly in only a couple of years.

It's bright orange...it's pattern is reduced...come on! A wild snake that looks that way is most likely eaten before it gets to that size, and I wouldn't say that the road is a particularly 'wild' place.

This is where you and quite a lot of others go wrong!!
Some of the best looking coatals including reduced patten and Hypos do occur in the natural environment, This natural environment includes small pockets of bushland within suburbia! Just because you and many others have never seen them in this situation does not mean they dont reside there it just means you have never seen them nothing more!

I wouldn't say that a road is a suitable secure enclosure. As for it being unlikely to survive in the wild; I refer you to my Blondie comment.
I wonder if when Blondie the first Albino Darwin was first found they stopped and wondered whether it was an escaped pet or not.

Just because you and many others have never seen them in this situation does not mean they dont reside there it just means you have never seen them nothing more!
Panthers in Australia, big foot, aliens and the lochness monster all real yeah? Now people try not to be lost on the irony this time.

This is where you and quite a lot of others go wrong!!
Some of the best looking coatals including reduced patten and Hypos do occur in the natural environment, This natural environment includes small pockets of bushland within suburbia! Just because you and many others have never seen them in this situation does not mean they dont reside there it just means you have never seen them nothing more!

What exactly am I doing wrong? I never said that morphs don't occur naturally, and I'm not so ignorant that to think that snakes do not occur in urban areas, (quite the contrary actually) it's not nice of you to presume I've not seen them. So your last sentence makes no sense to me. In fact, I wholly missed your point entirely.

Panthers in Australia, big foot, aliens and the lochness monster all real yeah? Now people try not to be lost on the irony this time.

This is where the split is in the hobby, One one hand we have the armchair/house herper that keeps a few snakes in enclosures and cant be told these things do exist within the natural environment by the real herpers that actually spend time in the field looking for and at these critters. Get out and do some real herping and you may find out there is a whole new wonderful world out there that does infact exist!

I think some mutations would not happen in the wild. Not sure if my reasoning is correct or not but I would think some mutations like albinos for example usually do not survive in the wild and may not get a chance to cross with other mutations that mat not survive in the wild.

yeah i didnt think they would either till i saw python hunters carpture a 5-6 foot albino retic or burm.. i think it was an escaped pet though but it shows they can survive in the wild:)

Are you making assumptions about me? Sorry some of us have other commitments then to have the time to go walking in the bush flipping over logs to come back and brag about our "knowledge" on an Internet form. I clarified myself in my next post which was deleted, saying I knew I should of originally added even tho there can be some stunning wild types. Is there really anyone out there that stupid to not believe that?! Clesrly you "real herpers" cant see past your own selfs to take in others opinions, im not going to even break it down as to what they actually are. Perhaps all us who only keep repriles in enclosures should delete our accounts and let the real herper pro's conduct their secretive serious business on here. We should also avoid zoo's, reptile parks, magazines and articles/papers on animal subjects as to us these are just passions/hobby/a love for animals and were not conduction super special illuminate skull and bones I tracked down Saddan Hussein and found his pet taipan business. What splits this hobby (just like everything else) is the ones who think they know it all and who hold their nose above everyone else. People are real quick to jump on a bandwagon, especially around here. And are quick to shoot down others who have a different opinion, not just in this case/thread but many others. Next time ill write a three page essay explaining myself, all the ifs and buts, ensuring I cross every t and dot every I as to leave nothing to chance.

Last edited:
I can see this thread getting removed like so many other lately if the off topic bickering keeps going. I is healthy to discuss and have differing opinions but the insults are not called for.

Anyone in Brisbane have a licence for wild caught reptiles then, this could be a good addition? (Just Joking) Everyone, we have got way off course on what i was asking here. I think everyone is aware that coastals come in a wide variety of colours and variations, and can be found anywhere within their natural range. The reason i posted was that where i found the snake was in a suburban street, where i have never seen a coastal roaming before. (Not to say they aren't there). I removed it from what i thought was and could be a dangerous situation with every intention of moving it to a safer spot (very close to where it was found), but it was very different to what i have seen and wanted some input on peoples thoughts of the chances it may have been a pet, based on the patterning, demeanour and location. We all understand that all variations can and do occur naturally, and demeanour is not necessarily a perfect indicator of wild vs captive. We are all getting a bit off track and people are beginning to judge others knowledge and experience, whether intentional or not. i will take the snake to a reputable snake breeder/retailer in the local area for a final bit of advice this afternoon before i release it close to where it was found. My intentions were always for the best outcome for the animal.

I am very new to the world of forums and I see that he/she may be looking for somewhere to crash for the winter but I am wondering if any harm would be done by hanging int to this animal for a couple of days to see if anyone is looking for it? I know if it was my beloved pet I would very much appreciate someone looking after it, as we know most people would do it harm. I know nothing about morphs and the like and don't wish to aggravate any body with my very limited experience, would a captive snake survive hunting live food and all the other struggles of the wild? As said I truly would like to know and don't wish to annoy anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back