Exo Terra rocks?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizzalover

Not so new Member
Reaction score
im interested in trying a heat rock as a heat source, I live in Cairns and we do get it hot here, its a temp measure until I have a DIY home for a new woma. My question is does any one know what temps they will get to ? I guess at this stage I was trying not to run a thermostat atm cheers :shock:

I have heard a lot of bad things about heat rocks but have no personal experience with them.

The consensus is they're a no no. Years ago I used one for one of my diamonds and she copped a nasty burn :( I've heard plenty of other bad stories about them as well.

The warmer a location you are in the more dangerous heat rocks can be, They have a nasty habit of not regulating temperature very well and burning the basking reptile. Get a heat mat and put it under a tile, ive been running mine using there own built in heat regulation fine for a while now.

mine failed was smoking and making funny noises, it was way to hot to touch. it nearly set my enclosure on fire. i threw it in the bath tub full of cold water afer i unplugged it cause if i put it down any were it was that hot it would burn. i have since cut the cord and use it as a decoration rock.

i will never use one ever again. it was ment to have a built in thermostat but it failed.

The warmer a location you are in the more dangerous heat rocks can be, They have a nasty habit of not regulating temperature very well and burning the basking reptile. Get a heat mat and put it under a tile, ive been running mine using there own built in heat regulation fine for a while now.
Whp71 cheers what mat are you using?

ok yep seems like all the reviews are saying similar, no rocks here

With glass enclosures and using an external heat mat, I find the bottom glass gets to high temps (47 degress)how do you stop the bottom of the glass getting really hot.

Say you have a woma who really likes to dig? stopping them from getting in direct contact with the galss?

With glass enclosures and using an external heat mat, I find the bottom glass gets to high temps (47 degress)how do you stop the bottom of the glass getting really hot.

Say you have a woma who really likes to dig? stopping them from getting in direct contact with the galss?

Put some 16mm thick melamine ontop of it, should drop the temp to high 30s.

Do you have the glass base raised off the surface? None of mine get that hot, I even use them on plastic cages. All mine are raised with about a centimetre gap from whatever they are on to allow airflow to stop the mat becoming too hot. Most good mats even come with rubber feet to stick onto whatever you are taping the mat to, to raise it. Just to be clear, that means that the mat is against the glass, but the mat AND the cage is raised off the surface.

My only suggestion would be to maybe place a tile between the glass and the mat. I have also done this to make a heat tile for use inside the cage, again with the tile raised slightly off the floor of the cage.

There is also a chance you have a faulty heat mat, or are using a brand which doesnt have an automated cutoff like the Reptile-one brand mats do.

Bill

Yeah Im running it with a thermostat.

Have a gap but the mat is not attached to the glass, the mat is placed on the cabinet and rubber feet for the enclosure.

It is an underworld reptile Brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back