Sick hatchling beardie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never seen anything like this. It would be interesting to see what it is. Def take her to the vet.

I live in lismore, nsw. Does any one know of a vet around that works with reptiles or a place that adopts sick reptiles?

In a pinch the local WIRES group or local herp club should be able to aim in the right direction .

I'm sure if you explained your financial situation when visiting the vet, they'll be able come up a way to spread the costs out , and might do the treatment as a hardship case.

Either way your little sick pet dragon's welfare MUST TAKE PRIORITY IMO.

Last edited:
The breeder you bought this sick little lizard off should have had it under treatment by a good vet and should not have sold it to you if it was ill without advising you of the likely costs you might incur. VERY BAD FORM and IMMORAL.

Delaying vet treatment or seeing a good herp vet is EXTREMELY CRUEL.

It has died of natural causes today, I was planning on taking it to a vet. Very sad to see it go. Yeah the person that sold me her should have taken her to a vet early on and maybe it could have survived. Apparently it was alive for 3 months so he really should have taken it at some point.

You had a week to take it to the vet maybe it could of suffered a little less if you actually had done so even if the guy gave it to you it wasn't his problem as soon as you accepted it

Lesson learned. Reptile keeping is a constant learning process. Best of luck with the ones that remain mate. Don't think people should judge. Most keepers have lost animals to mistakes in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear the dragon didn't make it but in my experience it wouldn't have anyway with a deformity like that. If it lasted in your care less then a week there was very little either you or a vet would have been able to do for it.

Even if it was a tumor at that size it was that far advanced cutting it out would have made a weak animal alot weaker.

Don't beat yourself up, the dragon obviously ate in the time it was with the breeder or would have already died at 3mths of age. Giving it a meal worm wouldn't have hurt it as it probably wasn't strong enough to chase crickets anyhow.

Atleast the poor little thing had some love and care in its last stages.

Have you had an autopsy done on it by a herp vet to determine the cause of death and to ensure it wasn't something nasty deadly and infectous ? Your others may still be a risk if they cohabited while with the breeder (LIKELY) and since with you , it's best to pay up and be sure.

You should also change out all your bedding and replace it with fresh clean bedding, and sterilise all the enclosure furniture (with F10) and do the same to the internal surfaces of the enclosure JIC.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear the dragon didn't make it but in my experience it wouldn't have anyway with a deformity like that. If it lasted in your care less then a week there was very little either you or a vet would have been able to do for it.

Even if it was a tumor at that size it was that far advanced cutting it out would have made a weak animal alot weaker.

Don't beat yourself up, the dragon obviously ate in the time it was with the breeder or would have already died at 3mths of age. Giving it a meal worm wouldn't have hurt it as it probably wasn't strong enough to chase crickets anyhow.

Atleast the poor little thing had some love and care in its last stages.

It may have been an abscess (you'll never know without the herp vet looking at it and doing a thorough autospy) , if an abscess, then his other dragons if they cohabited are at risk from what ever infectous bug that caused the abscess and killed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back