Beardy Hybernating??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gvassila

Reaction score
Hiya

We have a bearded dragon, he's been in great condition has always eaten well and is a temp controlled enclosure. As it's come into winter he seems to have slowed down his eating and is not moving around much even though he is in a temp controlled enclosure. Is this a form of hybernation or should I be worried?

Thanks

I wouldn't be worried its pretty normal for them to stop eating as much over winter.

Its called brumating for lizards and its just a less extreme from of hibernation. I wouldn't worry too much, but I would monitor its weight, if it loses too much, I might think about lowering the temps to coincide with the less food being eaten.

Thanks, makes me feel a little happier. I'll keep an eye on him.

My two adult girls put themselves into brumation and now all they have is a 100W night time heat light on 24/7. They don't come out at all except to change sleeping spots. At first they'd sleep for a few days, then come out, but the sleeping lasted longer and longer and the waking days became fewer and further between, so I reduced their heating as heat is what makes their metabolisms work and they lose weight, so it's best to keep them cool if they aren't eating.

Yep agree with all comments above. My are doing that also, one of them is in a rock and I haven't seen for at least 6 weeks. It's exciting cause when summer comes around they will wake up and be ready for breeding I hope :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back