Not handling before feeding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghotar

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was having a chat with the reptile person at my local pet store and and she mentioned that it was a good idea not to handle snakes the day before they were due to eat.
I didn't think to ask why and was just wondering if anyone could tell me?

I handle mine before a feed because I don't handle them for a few days afterwards, both so they can digest and so I don't get shat on any more than I already have.

It will put some snakes off eating, most won't care.

I have found it depends on the individual,half my 6 month olds expect a feed straight after I clean out their tubs weekly,the other half need to be cleaned out about 2-3 days before feeding.

I always handle before a feed, never had a problem, I don't however handle for a couple of days after a feed to let them digest

One of my womas I don't handle on a feeding day. I learned that pretty early on. But apart from possible feeding responses or flighty ones being put off their food, I don't see why they can't be handled.

If you want to ever see how strong any decent sized 'pet' snake really is
let it wrap around your arm and feed it a rabbit etc

dont worry
the bruises fade eventually

I hand feed my woma (5 month old hatchie) then leave him alone for at least 24 hrs or until he poops (which he did tonight, all over me and the sofa, and is due to be fed tomorrow lol). Every snake has it's own personality though, so go with the flow.

I have learnt that what people from pet stores have to say should be taken with a grain of salt lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back