Substrate ???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

0bradl14

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
Hey guys I was curious as of which substrate to use an am open to suggestions I have currently been using zoo meds reptile bark for several years an have found now I'm living out of home it works out expensive as I have multiple enclosures to cater for I've been told aspen or coir peat but wouldn't have the slightest idea on where to purchase that stuff I've also been told that if you use coir peat you must first rinse it ? I want something that won't harm my reptiles if ingested an is cheap any suggestions thanks :)

How about breeders choice paper pellets, most supermarkets carry this brand,(for cats)harmless and still harmless if they do manage to eat some with their food:)

How about breeders choice paper pellets, most supermarkets carry this brand,(for cats)harmless and still harmless if they do manage to eat some with their food:)
I used to use this and thinking about going back to it....is it harmless if ingested...really would like to know Thanks Pete

Agreeing with sharkyy.. Ive used it for years with pythons and never had a drama. It absorbs the smell too same as critter crumble.

Na just soak it so it expands and dry it. I have two batches going at once so one is dry while the other is drying. Not harmful at all when digested.

So is it reusable ? Wash it an put it an dry then it's good to go is that what your saying ?

The brick is very hard and compacted so you must let it soak in water for it to come apart, then dry it.

Just make sure you don't get a brick with fertiliser.

I don't understand people's fascination with breeders choice and the like I personally feel it should be left as cat litter and never be used with reptiles. It's dangerous if ingested, it swells and also sucks moisture (humidity) from enclosures.

I don't understand people's fascination with breeders choice and the like I personally feel it should be left as cat litter and never be used with reptiles. It's dangerous if ingested, it swells and also sucks moisture (humidity) from enclosures.

Totally agree. I don't see why people believe it to be the correct choice wether it be for dragons or snakes.

I know people keeping dragons on it an really don't see the appeal, visually it is an eyesore. I much prefer to keep my animals on a substrate that suits their needs. If it means more regular cleaning so be it, have had no issues with keeping beardies or ridge tailed monitors on red sand.

Rick

My Dragon is on Sand, he loves it.

My Snakes are currently on Artificial Turf however this will be changed over to coir peat as soon as I get my Enclosures sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back