Melamine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use melamine for enclosures and I get it from bunnings but I buy it in 2400x1200x16 sheets and cut it myself. I buy white because its all they have due to cost, for the price of black may as well get marine grade ply. And if you run a bead of aquarium grade silicone around the joins like snowman said it keeps the moisture out

Ok so I want to make black enclosures....someone just tell me what to tell the guys I need so I don't look like a idiot please lol

Try black Formply. It's available from Bunnings, water-resistant and you can use water-based enamel paint to see the edges. The only thing is that they won't cut for you, but a coarse jigsaw works fine.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/formply-construction-206460/ - This is my first time using it, but it won't be the last. Definitely superior to melamine in every way (so far).

Try black Formply. It's available from Bunnings, water-resistant and you can use water-based enamel paint to see the edges. The only thing is that they won't cut for you, but a coarse jigsaw works fine.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/formply-construction-206460/ - This is my first time using it, but it won't be the last. Definitely superior to melamine in every way (so far).

Not sure about it being superior in appearance. May as well just get a roll of contact an put on on a sheet of ply.... It has such a horid finish.

Rick

Can't remember to be honest. It was meant for painting melamine. I did stick clear Perspex on the inside to make cleaning easier and avoid scratching the paint. Since then I don't do black enclosures. I find the mirror effect too annoying when the lights are off inside the viv.

I used cabinet making HMR melamine, all cut by the cabinet makers and put together by them too. Had 2 enclosures done for $220 all i had to do was buy glass, light fittings and head cords! HMR Stuff is great because it is exactly that, High Moisture Resistant so if you do happen to spill water, there is no major effect on the board, same as what you'd find in any kitchen these days :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back