Melamine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either will work. Mdf is heavier and more expensive. I just use the chipboard melamine with a timber yard (not bunnings), all cuts are perfect and i get great service.

A cabinet maker (possibly if cutting his own sheets) can cut your boards and edge it aswell, this will save a lot of time as they have the right tools to be cost effective.

Rick

i never use mdf, any moisture and it's ruined. The laminated particle board is much better and stronger imo

Use plywood that way its superstrong and easily painted or stained and its waterproof to a higher degree. Its less likely to chip when screwing or nailing together and any extra cost is worth it due to its reliability

I use the bunnings stuff but I always carry a measuring tape and I lay them flat on the floor to check for warping. After getting them to cut a couple of sheets for me and getting some really off measurements I now cut my own.

Go to a cabinet makers, ask for HMR malimine, it is moisture resistant same stuff kitchens are meant to be made of. It's all I use.

Have you seen what happens to particle board when it's been wet ? I'd never use it for ANYTHING.

Melamine is not much better.

Better off using plywood.

HMR is just MDF based Melamine isn't it?

Rick
No! MDF is Medium Density Fibre board, it is made my turning timber into tiny little fibres then sticking them all back together with urea famaldihyde (spelling) and has no moisture resistance what so ever, HMR particle board is like the treated pine of particle board, it is treated and stands for High Moisture Resistance it will still swell if stood in water but will not swell in a reptile cage from humidity or spills.

No! MDF is Medium Density Fibre board, it is made my turning timber into tiny little fibres then sticking them all back together with urea famaldihyde (spelling) and has no moisture resistance what so ever, HMR particle board is like the treated pine of particle board, it is treated and stands for High Moisture Resistance it will still swell if stood in water but will not swell in a reptile cage from humidity or spills.

Ah yep. The plywood based melamine, knew I had it mistake. Does the melamine coating not withstand high humidity even when properly sealed? I don't have any high humidity species yet so highest I had mine was around 60% and had not issues so far.

Ah yep. The plywood based melamine, knew I had it mistake. Does the melamine coating not withstand high humidity even when properly sealed? I don't have any high humidity species yet so highest I had mine was around 60% and had not issues so far.
HMR melamine is not plywood either it is chipboard, but the chips when processed are treated, if you put normal chip board and hmr together you will see the difference, HMR has green chips instead of normal timber coloured chips, MDF melamine has an extremely thin layer of melamine which is very easily penetrated by moisture and MDF absorbes it like a sponge and when wet it swells very easily.

Ok so I want to make black enclosures....someone just tell me what to tell the guys I need so I don't look like a idiot please lol

Ok so I want to make black enclosures....someone just tell me what to tell the guys I need so I don't look like a idiot please lol

Bunnings don't stock black. Black I think is around $70 which is around double that of white. Just ask for black 16mm melamine, choose chipboard/MDF/HMR depending on your budget (chipboard being the cheapest and HMR being most expensive).

Rick

Bunnings melamine is fine to use as long as you seal the joins etc. I've had enclosures for ages built from it with no problems. I've painted it black before and it worked ok.
_DSC2471.jpg_DSC2445-1.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator:
I have just finished reading through this thread after putting together a new vivarium for our 7 yr old bredli. It is a commercial one, and made from mdf/melamine. Am I likely to have any problems?

I have just finished reading through this thread after putting together a new vivarium for our 7 yr old bredli. It is a commercial one, and made from mdf/melamine. Am I likely to have any problems?
Nope no problems. If you have time up your sleeve before an animal goes in (two weeks say). Then I would run a bead of aquarium silicone around the inside edges to stop any moisture ever getting in between the joins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back