Quick Release

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just don't get bitten, if you have rodent smell on your hands wash them its called hygiene, you shouldn't be feeding one reptile then handling another without washing your hands anyway. Hygiene people, use rubber gloves for rodents and plain hand for handling less washing involved. People get bitten because they are being lazy and lacking in concentration the snakes doing it because you are tellin it by your smell that its feeding time.

The one thing I have learned from this forum, is that if you own a snake as a pet you stand a very good chance of being bitten it's just a matter of time as to when.

In my case the rodent was still very much frozen and in the freezer,I was getting my snake out to put it in a tub for feeding and to give me time to clean out it's enclosure and change water etc..

I for one don't like snake hooks, and use my hands to get my snake out of it's enclosure, knowing that I might get "tagged" for doing it, this was different I said in the original post this time my pet "latched" on to me.

Putting the snake under a running tap did work, but it took longer than I thought it would and that's why I asked for advice from members here.
Harming my pet is the last thing I would want to do.

Last edited:
The one thing I have learned from this forum, is that if you own a snake as a pet you stand a very good chance of being bitten it's just a matter of time as to when.

In my case the rodent was still very much frozen and in the freezer,I was getting my snake out to put it in a tub for feeding and to give me time to clean out it's enclosure and change water etc..

I for one don't like snake hooks, and use my hands to get my snake out of it's enclosure, knowing that I might get "tagged" for doing it, this was different I said in the original post this time my pet "latched" on to me.

Putting the snake under a running tap did work, but it took longer than I thought it would and that's why I asked for advice from members here.
Harming my pet is the last thing I would want to do.
I have owned snakes both vens and pythons for near on 20 yrs and to this day I have never been tagged by snakes older than a Juvinile. By the time there one yr old mine are all settled and do not strike unless feeding time and then I'm prepared. I have never used a feeding tub except with my children's python tank that has four snakes in it so I need to separate them. At feeding I use tongs to feed most and a dustbin lid for scrubbies, once again I wash and sterilise prior to snake handling after feeding. I clean tanks and change water while they are ingesting there food therefor cannot get bitten

When my snake bit me I tried alcohol as well, I got through half a bottle before he let go.

Is the theory behind this methodology Andy, that by the time you have imbibed half a bottle, the alcohol in your blood starts transferring to the site of the bite and the snake falls of due to intoxication ;)

Is the theory behind this methodology Andy, that by the time you have imbibed half a bottle, the alcohol in your blood starts transferring to the site of the bite and the snake falls of due to intoxication ;)
I hadn't really thought about the mechanics behind it but you know I think you are onto something. I think in the name of science I will repeat this experiment 10 times and try to record the results and to get a fair spread we may need some other volunteers both male and female of all ages, who is in for the interest of science.

I hadn't really thought about the mechanics behind it but you know I think you are onto something. I think in the name of science I will repeat this experiment 10 times and try to record the results and to get a fair spread we may need some other volunteers both male and female of all ages, who is in for the interest of science.

This will of course be purely acedamic. Now.... time to wake up a snake or two :twisted:

I've heard Listerine (Mouth Wash) will get them off straight away, apparently they hate the smell of that. Only put the smallest amount in the lid and DO NOT pour over them just get it close enough so they can smell it.

Thanks for the advice from all the members here, I will definately be keeping a bottle of listerene close by just in case of future bites.
I was only going on what the breeder/seller told me about feeding my snake, in a separate tub from it's normal enclosure.
after all he has dozens of snakes and I am only new to this and that's why, I took his advice as it made sense to me when he told me.

Should the listerene fail I think I will just sit down with a nice bottle of American Honey and wait it out :)

I like the horse's bit. The corner of their mouth most often sits up away from your skin. If all else fails, use an appropriate sized stick and gentle slide in between your skin and the corner of their mouth. Next time they manoeuvre their mouth the stick will be in the way and prevent them from chomping down. They will have to let go. Has worked a treat for me and I have never injured their mouth. I've used the handle of a wooden spoon, or even the sexing probes can work, too.

I have also heard this Jack 92 I have also been advised I can use metho in a similar way.

I have been lucky I haven't been tagged yet.

I always use F10 before and after everything, in between snakes, in between feeds, even after washing a water dish but I am probably being a bit anal but so far it has worked for me. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back